Talk

Advanced search

37 year age gap

(11 Posts)
ilovetolovealways Sun 25-Aug-19 20:06:35

My dad and step mum have just had a beautiful baby boy but really feeling weird about our age gap

CmdrCressidaDuck Sun 25-Aug-19 20:10:06

I take it your dad's DW is rather younger than him.

I don't blame you for feeling weird - would it help if you thought of the new baby as more of a nephew than a sibling, or just a new baby member of the extended family? What's your relationship with your dad like?

ilovetolovealways Sun 25-Aug-19 20:14:44

I think it's just trying to get my daughters to adapt my eldest has taken it quiet bad a passing comment from her the other day was he has forgotten about me they were very close

OneRingToRuleThemAll Sun 25-Aug-19 20:16:50

How is it possible to have a 37 year age gap with a sibling. How old is your DF and his partner?

ilovetolovealways Sun 25-Aug-19 20:18:12

My dad is 60 his wife is 47

RLOU30 Sun 25-Aug-19 20:22:09

Of course it's possible

Aquamarine1029 Sun 25-Aug-19 20:24:46

Does it really matter at this point? The baby is here and a healthy, cherished baby is always a wonderful thing. You won't have a typical relationship with him, but what's wrong with that? Also, don't pander to your daughter's jealousy. She needs to get over it and accept that life moves in different directions sometimes. I'm sure her grandfather doesn't love her any less, he just has a new priority to sort out.

PlatoAteMySnozcumber Sun 25-Aug-19 20:29:10

You will have a much longer relationship with the child than your dad will. In fact the poor baby has two fairly old parents. I would get over it on the basis that life is too short and your little sibling will need you in its life. Every baby is a gift, there can’t be too much love going around.

ilovetolovealways Sun 25-Aug-19 21:04:39

Oh god I love him unbelievably he's amazing but the only family she has is grandad so I guess it takes time

stucknoue Sun 25-Aug-19 21:08:04

At 47 that's good going. Yes it's weird but not that uncommon, my friends daughter is my age, and her other daughter is my daughters age.

SquintEastwood Sun 25-Aug-19 21:19:17

Not quite as much but there's a 20 year gap between myself and my youngest sibling, it's weird but now they are teens we are close but it's probably more Aunt/Niece than siblings if that makes sense. I've always taken a more responsible role with them than our middle sibling.

My eldest is a few months younger than them so my parents aren't particularly hands on GP's as their time is taken up with kids and work but it's fine, just a different dynamic to lots of other families.

Congrats on your baby brother smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »