Talk

Advanced search

Summer Job for 19 year old

(8 Posts)
jojosholt Tue 23-Apr-19 13:19:15

I'm not entirely sure this is the right thread - if not sorry! DD is coming to the end of her gap year (for health related reasons, so not entirely the time of her life as she had to stay home while most of her friends moved away and so on!) and is trying to find something for over the summer away from home before starting uni (English lit), she has applied for some seasonal work with Scottish heritage but I was just wondering if there were any other places we might not have thought of to apply to. The earnings are a negligible factor really, though she wouldn't want to be paying money to go per se, from what I gather it's just about doing something different now she's well enough to so it doesn't feel like a whole year of the same!
Thank you!

HennyPennyHorror Tue 23-Apr-19 15:20:03

Are there any museums or galleries near you? She could volunteer. It;s hard to say without knowing where you live.

Aprilladvised Tue 23-Apr-19 15:24:44

Why not a pub or cafe or restaurant so that when she gets to uni she will have some experience to get a part time job.

Do you mean she's looking for a job in another town or city or country? I was an au pair in Italy for a summer and worked in a hotel in France another summer. I got that job through emailing my cv (I had no catering experience) hotels in an area I wanted to visit. Both jobs abroad included accommodation and were great experiences.

SmokeAndBone Tue 23-Apr-19 15:30:01

Lots of ideas here -
https://www.workaway.info/

jojosholt Tue 23-Apr-19 15:41:17

@HennyPennyHorror the aim is to get away for a bit tbh, but thank you!
@Apriladvised she's got plenty of experience in catering and with horses; the stuff in Italy and France is exactly the sort of thing she's looking for!
@Smoke and Bone thank you!

MsLayla Tue 23-Apr-19 15:45:08

Volunteer teacher in Thailand or similar. STA travel organise such things, might be fun and rewarding & an opportunity to mix with others of a similar age.

Edinburgh festival often hire lots of casual staff. Sign up to a casual staffing agency. I did it one summer when I was about 20. Minimum wage but a lot of fun.

HennyPennyHorror Tue 23-Apr-19 15:49:17

Disneyland Paris is fun and offers a lot to students seasonally.

Decormad38 Tue 23-Apr-19 15:53:32

My daughter (19) just got a job for end of may until beg july working as part of a university research trial. The job was advertised amongst the students. She will be paid £14 per hour to record data in schools. Worth looking at her uni site see if any jobs advertised.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »