Talk

Advanced search

Unhappy that my 19 year old daughter wants to live with her non student boyfriend in her final year

(51 Posts)
Georgie1710 Mon 01-Apr-19 19:34:02

Hi my daughter has told me that she will be moving in with her non student boyfriend in her final year at uni. I have told her to wait until she finishes uni first. She is now threatening not to complete her degree as I won’t help her finance her accommodation. Any thoughts would be helpful please?

PurpleDaisies Mon 01-Apr-19 19:35:45

What’s your objection to them living together?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 01-Apr-19 19:36:28

When is her final year?

stucknoue Mon 01-Apr-19 19:38:11

Whilst there's complications (eg it won't be exempt from council tax) she's an adult, surely you fund her at the same level as before

exexpat Mon 01-Apr-19 19:39:26

What exactly are your objections? Do you not like the boyfriend? Have they not been together long enough? Do you think she will be distracted from her studies?

I can't really see an issue otherwise. Disclaimer: I lived with my boyfriend (later husband) from age 20, during the last two years of university, when he had already graduated and was working. We bought a house together in my final year.

DS is also about to graduate but is planning to stay in his current university city and and live with his girlfriend next year while she completes her final year. It sounds sensible to me.

I think threatening to withdraw funding just because she is living with her boyfriend will just backfire and could affect your relationship with your daughter permanently.

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 01-Apr-19 19:39:57

She is now threatening not to complete her degree as I won’t help her finance her accommodation.

At 19 she is choosing to move out of university accommodation and play house with her boyfriend. She can finance it herself! The cheek of her expecting you to pay! Doesn’t her boyfriend have a job?

Georgie1710 Mon 01-Apr-19 19:41:04

This is her first boyfriend she has not known him long. He is 3 years older than her and since he left school has been working in a bar. I feel he is manipulating her and she is rushing to live with him. Her final
Year is important and her degree is very demanding. I am advising her to wait until she graduates.

Georgie1710 Mon 01-Apr-19 19:42:07

Starts this Sept.

CallMeCarolDanvers Mon 01-Apr-19 19:42:11

Tbh OP unless there's a massive drip feed about the boyfriend I think you're being an arse. Why won't you fund her at the same level as currently? You're forcing her to choose between living in a place and with people she doesn't want to, or drop out of uni to get a job. If you don't have a cast iron reason then you will come across as controlling and unkind.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 01-Apr-19 19:42:48

Is he supportive of her studies? Ultimately I can’t see that there’s a lot you can do about it.

Honeyroar Mon 01-Apr-19 19:42:57

I can see your point. I lived with just my boyfriend (who graduated the year before) in my final year of uni and we broke up a couple of months before my exams. I had to find a new place to live and cope with all the upset on top of doing finals. It wasn't good.

GinUnicorn Mon 01-Apr-19 19:43:29

I think when you have to leave this up to her. Fair enough to not give her any extra money but don’t cut her off.

Georgie1710 Mon 01-Apr-19 19:46:47

I have to sign a Guarantor form to pay her rent if she defaults. I am worried if he decides to leave then she will be left trying to pay his and her rent etc and I can’t afford to cover it financially. Also, when I was introduced to his mother she made it clear she did not like me. She is divorced and depends on him financially etc and I am worried he is moving in with my daughter to escape his mum. I do not want her stressed or distracted by him in her final year.

Bamchic Mon 01-Apr-19 19:48:06

I lived with DH at uni. He never went. He was a barman. I have never met anyone so proud of me.

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 01-Apr-19 19:49:35

I have to sign a Guarantor form to pay her rent if she defaults.

Are they signing as joint tenants? If so surely he will have a guarantor too? If not then no way would I sign as guarantor for him to cocklodge in her house.

Horehound Mon 01-Apr-19 19:50:38

Do not be a guarantor.

AuntieCJ Mon 01-Apr-19 19:51:09

No. Don't sign.

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 01-Apr-19 19:51:55

He’s moving from his mothers house? Has he ever lived independently?

happyhillock Mon 01-Apr-19 19:54:00

She's 19 old enough to do what she want's i certainly wouldn't be given her extra money, she can get a part time job like most student's do.

CallMeCarolDanvers Mon 01-Apr-19 19:54:16

This is the massive drip feed I was waiting for. "AIBU to not want to act as guarantor for my DD and her minimum wage, unstable job new boyfriend when I couldn't afford the rent if they default?" is an entirely different question.

DantesInferno Mon 01-Apr-19 19:56:30

This is the massive drip feed I was waiting for. "AIBU to not want to act as guarantor for my DD and her minimum wage, unstable job new boyfriend when I couldn't afford the rent if they default?"

This ^

You cant stop her from moving out, but dont be an idiot and sign a guarantor contract

Nix32 Mon 01-Apr-19 19:58:00

She starts uni in September and you're already thinking about her final year accommodation? Surely it wouldn't be the same property so any guarantor agreement would have to be agreed when she moved into a place with him. Her final year is a long way away - I wouldn't worry about it yet.

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 01-Apr-19 20:00:52

No nix her final year starts in September so accommodation needs to be sorted soon.

Ginger1982 Mon 01-Apr-19 20:01:58

Nix i think the OP means her final year starts this September.

alliejay81 Mon 01-Apr-19 20:04:10

I moved in with my BF in my second year. He was six years older and had a job. It all turned out fine. I got a much sought after graduate job and we're now married with a DC.

She's a grown up, I'm afraid.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »