Talk

Advanced search

Help: Middle aged son lost his job, how much should I help?

(27 Posts)
Etiene Mon 19-Nov-18 11:17:21

Our son (in his 40’s, married with school age children) has lost his well-paid job. He’s has taken it very badly and it will take some time to get a new job at his level, but they have a huge mortgage, etc. We’re retired and are happy to offer some help, but it could never be enough to cover his mortgage, etc. How far should we go in helping him and his family, at what point should we stop? If you were in his position how much help would you expect from your parents?

Almahart Mon 19-Nov-18 22:56:01

Both my parents (divorced) were wealthier than DH and I are. It wouldn’t have occurred to me to ask them to support us financially in this situation. I would give them a big cheque for Christmas if I were you but honestly in their situation, if I were a SAHM I would have expected to get a part time job

mrsmuddlepies Mon 19-Nov-18 23:35:46

If the grandchildren are school age, both son and Dil should look at getting temporary jobs ( perhaps seasonal jobs). It is always going to be dangerous if just one person in a relationship works. Eggs in one basket and all that.
I understand your desire to help. That is a good thing to do, but both of them should show willing to work and help themselves as well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »