Talk

Advanced search

Excessive university drinking

(6 Posts)
Loopytiles Sat 27-Oct-18 07:32:36

Can understand your worry. Sadly there is a culture in the UK where frequent drinking to excess seems normal.

Binge drinking obviously isn’t good but won’t necessarily lead to a “downward spiral”, but you say you have other reasons to fear this.

Might be good to look at / seek advice for families from alcohol/drug organisations.

Getting into fights is worrying, high physical and legal risks. sad

PotteringAlong Sat 27-Oct-18 07:29:31

Sounds fairly standard for most people I know; none of whom became or were alcoholics.

I think suggesting counselling because your uni student child is drinking lots is a tad excessive.

SnuggyBuggy Sat 27-Oct-18 07:27:47

Honestly it may be better to wait until he has graduated.

Theducksarenotmyfriends Sat 27-Oct-18 07:25:38

Sounds pretty normal for uni!

Spankyoumuchly Fri 26-Oct-18 21:14:12

I take it you didn't go to college...

sugarnovember Fri 26-Oct-18 20:54:03

I'm increasingly concerned about ds' drinking. He's very bright, very confident and very lippy but drinks to oblivion most weekends (and has got into fights on occasions). He seems happy; has lots of friends both, at home and uni, but they all party relentlessly and can't seem to see each other without drinking to excess. I'm not sure how to approach it effectively because he doesn't think it's a problem. From his point of view, he's doing well and getting good grades so I shouldn't worry. Two years ago, his excuse was: "i'm in my gap year and relaxing' "it's normal..." Last year, his excuse was: "I'm in freshers week...I'm in the first year...everybody does it" This year, he simply denies the issue. Besides his health, I'm worried about his attitude and lack of self care, and the inevitable downwards spiral if he doesn't have a handle on it. I'm also sure this is hiding other problems. I've used other pretexts to suggest counselling but again, he thinks he's fine and doing quite well. I'd love to hear from anyone who's had to talk to grown up kids about this; did it work? where did you get advice, if any? etc.. Big thanks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »