Talk

Advanced search

Adult son - unemployed, no friends, no prospects

(52 Posts)
janman60 Tue 18-Sep-18 14:56:59

My adult son (26) is living at home with us and I'm always worried about him. He dropped out of uni as he had a nervous breakdown but didn't want to go back. He's clearly intelligent but has nothing to show for it.

He spends almost his whole time shut away in his room, reading, and he occasionally goes for a walk. He's had a couple of jobs in the past few years but hasn't particularly enjoyed them - he's not a sociable person and finds that aspect very difficult! He doesn't seem keen on any of he local volunteering places.

In addition, he got into a bit of trouble with the police a few years back - and left a mark on his DBS to do with children.

I'm at a loss as to how to help him. His family loves him, but he has no friends. He's also no longer that young - most people his age have some kind of career by now, even if they don't intend to stick with it permanently.

Does anybody know what I can do? I would really appreciate some help!!

BlankTimes Tue 05-Mar-19 13:43:10

Misschipmunk

How fortunate you are to be able to medically diagnose the OP's son from your keyboard. I'm sure the NHS would be interested in your talents, no need to pay a doctor, just ask you.

MaybeDoctor Tue 05-Mar-19 13:44:43

I agree that now is the time to try to turn it around.

While young people often do take a while to find their feet, every passing year does increase the risk of something happening to your own health and also makes him less employable. sad

Living with you needs to be contingent on him doing something else each day other than sitting in his bedroom.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »