Talk

Advanced search

Are we being fair

(5 Posts)
youngemptynesters Sat 10-Feb-18 08:12:05

We are parents of 2 boys, now men. Oldest is married moved out and cut us off completely, that's for another thread. Our youngest, who we have a close relationship with is studying for a master's, we pay his rent , 600 a month, for him to stay in London in a house share, we moved out of London last year. He is reluctant to get enough part time work too support himself, so we regularly give him extra money, however we have said the money for down to 300 in the summer so he has to work more to be able to live. We want to support him while he is doing his master's , but think he needs to work more to support himself more. Are we being fair

keepingbees Sat 10-Feb-18 08:28:06

Nothing wrong in supporting your child doing their masters, however he's never going to stand on his own two feet while you keep paying for him.
I would tell him to work whatever part time hours he could, then maybe top up any shortfall.

QuiteLikely5 Sat 10-Feb-18 08:45:06

Surely if you are only paying his rent he needs to cover all his other expenses such as food, clothes and having a life

If he went thinking that you would cover his rent until he finished his masters then I think you should honour that

youngemptynesters Sat 10-Feb-18 09:00:17

We said we would pay up to 10k in total to support him, which we will honor - about 18 months worth of rent, but he needs to cover food mobile phone etc, which he does, he has some part time work and gets anywhere between 50-80 a week.
We told him we can support him for longer if we only pay 300 a month from the summer and he works more.
Given him enough notice.
He already has his degree, so we think he could get a good enough part time job in London to support himself while he finishes his masters.

Shortfatandangry Sat 10-Feb-18 09:20:46

My husband finished his masters in 2016, while working an average of 50hr weeks, commuting and we had a new born an a 1.5 yo. It was brutal, but if he can do all that I'm pretty sure your ds can work for spending money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now