Talk

Advanced search

Empty nest syndrome

(5 Posts)
Rainie130 Fri 26-Jan-18 09:28:44

I'm really struggling with having an empty house. Two of my children both moved out last year, having bought their own houses. I have a teenager still at home, but he has a very busy social life so I rarely see him now. I realised that I had a problem when my eldest son got married recently and the day after the wedding I broke down in tears and convinced myself that I was never going to see him again. I do work and have a good network of friends and an active social life, but this doesn't fill the void of the noisy and busy house that we once had. I know that my husband is feeling it too and he seems to cope by constantly popping round to help them with decorating, gardening etc. I'm really hoping that this passes.

pallasathena Sat 27-Jan-18 23:10:42

It will pass I promise you.
There's an adjustment phase that can last for anything from a couple of years to the much anticipated arrival of grandchildren...it took a massive career change, a second marriage a move to the other end of the country and the arrival of the first of several much loved grandchildren before I finally felt that I'd arrived!
If you have a loving, supportive relationship with your partner that can ease the transition massively because your focus shifts to coupledom quite naturally.
I didn't have that.... but I do have it now.

Benandhollysmum Thu 10-May-18 18:03:39

I can’t wait for mine to move out, I plan on travelling the world. You are missing them but you forget your a person too..why you not doing things you’ve always wanted to do? Plan to do stuff before the grandkids come along and you will be granny

cool granny’s who live life are better than old granny’s who sit about waitin in on their kids coming to visit

Jupiterrose Wed 11-Jul-18 09:16:46

I was so lost when mine left the nest, I worked and had social life too I can relate to that empty feeling it gets better be gentle with yourself practice lots of self care

BusyB77 Tue 24-Jul-18 02:27:25

I feel it, only mine is moving to a dorm and does not care anymore about me. I use to do everything and now I get so mad at him.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »