Talk

Advanced search

Coping with seeing your adult child suffering

(5 Posts)
Marmitefan Tue 19-Dec-17 21:29:41

23 DS has chronic illness and it's breaking my heart . It's been 10
Years since diagnosis and it never gets easier seeing him in pain
Everyday. or unable to live the life a young man , who should be in his prime. I want to cry when I see people out running when my lad is struggling to walk . He's a trooper,
Good friends , good job , never complains and tries to get on with his
His life but when he's down , I'm down as I see his sadness /frustration of the hand he's been dealt . I know it's his life to live and cope with and I can support him but can how can you ever accept or come to terms with your child suffering ?

Thetreesareallgone Tue 19-Dec-17 21:33:36

Marmite I didn't want to leave your post unanswered, but I've never seen this part of the site before- you might want to post again in Chat as I'm sure lots of people could relate to your experience. I have a slightly different experience of watching a partner suffer (but he's young by my standards) and I cope by focusing on the good parts, but every now and again it's like a knife in your heart, and I can only imagine worse for a parent, as they are always your little child, even if they are grown.

carbuckety Sun 21-Jan-18 14:27:27

I came looking for advice about an adult child now living back at hoe and saw this. I have a just adult (18) child who has been continuously ill since age 14 with a severe chronic illness would high means she is totally bed bound and dependent on me for everything 24/7. No friends left, no hobbies ( she is too ill, just lies in bed all the time). Always in pain, struggles to eat, to talk everything. It breaks my heart and I never know how we keep going but somfar we do. Many many times I've wondered about putting her out of her misery. Obviously I couldn't actually do so but I have no idea what the future holds for her

carbuckety Sun 21-Jan-18 14:28:06

Oh and that's a different child from the one I came on here looking for advice about

Chocolate50 Thu 21-Jun-18 08:36:32

Yes I can relate. Its heartbreaking

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: