Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Taking baby away for the first time

(15 Posts)
charliegreensmum Tue 16-Aug-05 12:33:22

We have (either bravely or stupidly) decided to take our 4 month old baby on a short break to Kent next week. I already have a list as long as my arm of paraphenalia to cart along but would be really grateful for any tips or advice! Break is really for DH and me after he used up all his other leave visiting me and baby in hospital - Charlie was 10 weeks early.

TIA

Frizbe Tue 16-Aug-05 12:36:47

Relax and enjoy yourselves! Are you staying with friends, hotel, caravan, tent?

LIZS Tue 16-Aug-05 12:40:13

Take away the minimum you need - think of things which can perform more than one function or are necessities. Car seat can be indoor seat too for example. Can he manage without a baby gym for a few days if you take a mat and some smaller toys ? Also bear in mind you are less likely to spend time indoors so will need fewer things to occupy him there than normal.

You can always buy any nappies, food etc for him while you are there. If there is a washing machine on hand you can take fewer changes of clothes and bedding and wash in an emergency.

charliegreensmum Tue 16-Aug-05 12:41:09

We are probably going to a guesthouse but I'm planning to ring them first just to check their attitude to babes and to see if they're prepared to give me some fridge space for storing milk.

I am really looking forward to going!

Easy Tue 16-Aug-05 12:43:44

The first time I took ds to my mums for a few days on my own, I loaded up the car, and it was absolutely full (Fiat Brava).

Literally the whole back of the car (seats folded down) was packed. The dog had to go in the front passenger footwell, with ds in his rearfacing seat on the front passenger side (no airbag 6 years ago)

Trust me, you don't really need all the stuff you take.

Tommy Tue 16-Aug-05 12:47:04

We took DS1 to my PILs when he was quite little like this and I was worrying about it. My HV said, ever so gently, "You know, they do have shops in Weymouth...."

Little tip though - if you're formula feeding, so you don't need to worry about the bottles in the fridge, take the powder (maybe in one of those great little pots with 3 spaces in) and make up the feed as you need them - i.e. put boiled water in bottles and top them up with newly boiled water when you need them to get to the right temp. Wish I learned that earlier with DS1.
Have fun

Mum2girls Tue 16-Aug-05 12:51:17

Don't forget the pram/buggy parasol!!

And have a great time.

Chandra Tue 16-Aug-05 13:12:09

Just enjoy it, contrary to what could be thought, it's easier to travel with small babies: you don't have to worry about finding food that they could eat, you don't need to stop in every single petrol station on the way to go to the toilet, they don't throw looooooong tantrums in public, and you don't need to chase them around restaurants to take them back to their seats.

I would only take her toiletries, a bottle of calpol just in case, some nappies for the first couple of days, red book if that makes you feel a bit more "secure", a grobag, some comforting toy, pushchair and some clothes. Have I filled the car yet?

charliegreensmum Tue 16-Aug-05 15:11:19

Car is getting fuller by the minute! Thanks for the tip regarding the formula milk, we are only just moving on to it from EBM so that is really useful to know. Does anyone know where you can get one of the pots with 3 spaces in that Tommy mentioned? Would Mothercare or Woolies have something suitable.

Thanks for all the other advice too.

madmarchhare Tue 16-Aug-05 15:13:40

Having just returned from a camping holiday with 20mos old DS, I wished I had taken him to a lot more places when he wass younger and couldnt crawl, run, walk, throw his food and eat stones. Enjoy it very much!

sparklingshiraz Tue 16-Aug-05 15:54:47

mothercare have the formula dispenser. Get the mothercare brand one it is half the price of the avent brand.

Bramshott Tue 16-Aug-05 16:03:52

When we took DD away aged 5 months we nearly didn't take her change mat, just the travel one in the bag, and then at the last minute threw the big one in. It was a godsend as it could go on the floor anywhere and she found it more tricky to roll over with the padded sides. Have fun!

Bozza Tue 16-Aug-05 16:26:06

Whereas I have never taken a proper changing mat anywhere. When we took DS when he was a baby I took cartons of readymade milk.

Tommy Tue 16-Aug-05 17:40:46

at DS1;s christening party, a friend of mine turned up (for the afternoon mind)with a huge rucksack and a full size changing mat for her DS!!
I said "We do have one of those you know..." - it was only their seciong ever trip out of the house with the baby - bless

Bozza Wed 17-Aug-05 09:40:08

Tommy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: