Talk

Advanced search

Transgender parents?

(9 Posts)
Ryuk Thu 17-Jun-10 17:33:49

A few days ago, a friend of a friend was insisting that transgender people shouldn't have children, as the kids would be picked on in school by other children and their teachers. Which I thought was a bit odd. What do you guys think? Am I missing something?

lilmamma Thu 17-Jun-10 22:27:36

Does that mean someone who was a man is now a woman ? well unless the adult told someone i dont see how anyone would know.

personally as long as a child is loved and healthy and happy,i dont think it matters what kind of parent they have gay etc..

Ryuk Fri 18-Jun-10 19:55:38

Or who was a woman who is now a man. My view is the same as yours. She just seemed so vehement about it. :S

LynetteScavo Fri 18-Jun-10 20:02:58

Lots of people shouldn't have children, but I wouldn't rule out people just because they are transgender. I take it your friend means they shouldn't be able to adopt (I'm thinking reproducing naturally would be tricky)

You can often tell if a woman used to be a man, even after ops and hormones, etc. They may not be that pretty.

So basically your friend doesn't think an ugly person should have a child? hmm

I know plenty of ugly parents(me on a bad day, for example)and have never known kids be picked on because of it.

PixieOnaLeaf Fri 18-Jun-10 20:14:58

Message withdrawn

Jannie49 Sat 25-Jun-11 20:24:13

Smacks of blatant prejudice to me. After all what exactly was the reasoning behind this woman's remark?
Im sure its not based on just potential problems and bullying for the child. I was badly bullied for different reasons, children prone to bullying others will always pick out someone's differences, even the most subtle ones, whether thats being shy, having buck teeth, unfashionable clothes (me at school but not now!) gay, lesbian, trans parents etc etc.
Thankfully we live in a country with a strong message and policy for strict equality and diversity. If we were all the same how boring it would be! Ive never had any problems as a gay mother (biological woman with 2 adult kids,) its so much more accepted now and so it should be, we live in the 21st century.

monkoray Sat 25-Jun-11 20:54:07

My dad has similar views but he's very very old. Is your friend of a friend very very old and did they get their views from the 1940s?

Jannie49 Fri 02-Sep-11 11:14:53

Oh its so often a generational thing, my Mum once said, "Did u know such n such was a fairy??!" (some gay female celebrity, I forget who.) Instead of my usual retort I just said, "aah bless, has she got wings and a wand, cos I want 3 wishes!?" Lol x

somewherewest Fri 02-Sep-11 14:01:04

I remember reading of a documentary a while back about a girl with same sex transgendered parents. I think she was around 9 or 10. If I remember correctly they were her biological mother and father, but the father had opted to have a sex change and the mother had stayed with him. The girl did get horribly bullied (and came across as immensely brave). It was quite sad. I can see an argument for taking the possibility of bullying into consideration when chosing adoptive parents, because it may be too much for an already emotionally vulnerable child to cope with. In terms of adoption its probably something that needs to be decided on a case by case basis with the welfare of the child as the first priority.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now