Talk

Advanced search

What age do you let your DD start wearing make up?

(28 Posts)
Sidge Sat 12-Jun-10 22:03:41

DD1 is 11.5 and for the first time today asked to put some make up on - she was going to her friend's bowling birthday party, and wanted some mascara and lip gloss.

She is very blonde so the mascara actually looked really pretty and I don't have a problem with her trying it. She knows make up isn't for school, only special occasions, so I'm not worried about her going to school looking like a drag queen!

What age did you let your daughters (or sons!) start to wear a little make up?

janeite Sat 12-Jun-10 22:08:22

DD1 was 13 when she started to wear a bit of mascara.

DD2 is 13 and doesn't wear any make up.

Tbh I think 11 is too early.

Bonsoir Sat 12-Jun-10 22:10:00

For a party, 11 is a very good age for mascara and lip gloss for a party.

My DD is 5.7 and often wears nail varnish on her toes and fingers.

minxofmancunia Sat 12-Jun-10 22:21:31

I wouldn't be bothered if my dd wanted to wear make-up at this age. she's nearly 4 at mo and loves make up but just has play stuff (obviously). 10 or 11 years old fine IMO but a lot on here will disagree with me.

cory Sat 12-Jun-10 22:39:01

About this age.

rowingboat Sat 12-Jun-10 22:40:35

Babies look much nicer with make up on.

poshsinglemum Sun 13-Jun-10 22:16:01

DD is almost two and every time I put some slap on she screams until I adorn her. She has oone toenail painted blush She goes in my handbag, takes out my lip gloss and puts it on herself! When I opened my eyeshadow xmas present dd was beside herself with excitement.

I won't let her do it properly till she's a teen.

GoEngland Sun 13-Jun-10 22:17:43

DD1 started in Year 6, she too is blond and pale skinned
Now in year 8 she wears natural looking foundation etc to school when her spots are bad and at the weekends/when going out. Generally if I can't tell she is wearing it or if she looks better with it on then I am OK with it. If it ever gets to a painted on look then we will be having conversations. She also paints her nails etc.
She was given lots of stuff when about 9 from friends/relatives but if was all aimed at the 'tween' market and quite poor quality. I have bought her a small collection of quality products and given her lessons on how to apply it.

DD2 is also blond but darker skinned, she is now Year 6 and not into any of this. Sometimes she brushes her hair before school though grin

clemettethecoalitionbreaker Sun 13-Jun-10 22:19:51

Speaking as a teacher most girls start Y7 fresh faced and by Christmas they are putting mascara on in the toilets.
DD (5) is fascinated by make-up. She avidly watches me put mine on (very minimal) and occasioanlly has a dab of face powder on her nose, or shiny gloss on her lips. But only if we are ot going out of the house...

MyPenniesWorth Mon 14-Jun-10 00:45:38

My 8 soon to be 9 year old loves make up, I let her wear a little bit at weekends

My seven year old is not interested

Clary Mon 14-Jun-10 00:53:28

Wow well done for holding out till 11!

Round here most of the girls seem to wear it to secondary school.

11 is surely fine for mascara and lip gloss. My DD is almost 9 and most of her friends would wear lip gloss, a bit of eye shadow and nail varnish to a disco/party tbh. I think it's a bit icky at that age but I seem to be in a minority.

MyPenniesWorth Mon 14-Jun-10 01:01:52

Clary I think it depends how much make up

I allow mine just to wear it as highlighter nothing heavy so although I let her wear lipstick for example it barely visible

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 14-Jun-10 11:07:33

My 9.1 dd wore lipgloss to a party yesterday. it was the only thing out of a Clares set (aimed at her age group) that I would allow. She doesn't need pink or blue mascara or purple eye liner. I don't wear make up so she feels a bit left out I think.

plonker Mon 14-Jun-10 11:37:14

My 7yo plays with makeup but I don't let her leave the house with it on. I hate to see it on young children apart from when they're playing.

My 10yo isn't as interested but likes to put on a bit of lipgloss if she's going to a part/to the cinema etc. She has the longest, curliest, darkest eyelashes of anyone I've ever met though envy so I'll be surprised if she has to wear mascara ever!

I don't wear make-up myself though [slob] so I think that influences how I feel about a face full of slap ...

LeoniPoni Mon 14-Jun-10 11:42:34

I'm 24 and pregnant with DC1 now so not got experience from a mum's point of view yet. But when I was 11 and started secondary school I was desperate to wear makeup like my friends and my mum bought me some lovely cleanser, toner and moisturiser, eyelash curlers, clear mascara and lipgloss. I felt like I had my own little beauty regime but I wasn't actually wearing any real makeup! I didn't push for anything else until I was about 13-14.

I know even in the past 10 years girls have grown up a lot compared to how me and my friends were but it might work for some girls...

TheBoyWithaSORNedMX5 Mon 14-Jun-10 11:52:22

I remember my mum grabbing me before I left the house because I wasn't wearing mascara - I was 12. I don't think I'd be quite so strict if I had a dd - but she had strong feelings on women (and 12yos clearly) not being dresssed until they were made up grin

A bit of lipgloss and mascara for a party is spot on, imo.

TheBoyWithaSORNedMX5 Mon 14-Jun-10 11:57:31

LeoniPoni girls 20+ years ago put make up on with trowels. Seriously. We all looked like this

jemart Mon 14-Jun-10 11:57:51

My girls are 5 and 3, they are allowed lip gloss and/or a smudge of eyeshadow for parties or other special occaisions.

I don't intend to allow regular make-up use until they are in high school, at which point I will try to teach them how to wear the stuff without over doing it.

seeker Mon 14-Jun-10 12:02:53

My dd is red haired, wears glasses and has very long but invisibly pale lashes. I have let her wear brown mascara since she was was about 10 I think. She is now 14 and wears it every day - it makes her feel confident and happy and I don't see a problem with it. She doesn't wear tons (except for parties!) and her school insists on it being discreet, so it takes her about a minute in the morning.

Sidge Mon 14-Jun-10 12:18:17

Thanks for all your replies, interesting to see the opinions.

I thought 11 and a half was about right, only for parties and special occasions. I don't want her going out in full slap looking like a beauty pageant contestant, but a little is fine.

Poor DD has lashes like mine - being so blonde they are virtually invisible, though quite long. I started getting mine tinted when I was 16 which was brilliant, but used mascara before then. (Electric blue mostly, but let's not go there grin)

seeker Mon 14-Jun-10 12:30:30

Dd is going to get her lashes tinted when we get round to it - but as I said, I don't see a problem with mascara. Not electric blue, obviously............

Bonsoir Mon 14-Jun-10 17:41:37

It's incredibly easy to tint your own eyelashes - just get a Dylash kit in any good pharmacy (I think even Boots sells them now).

seeker Mon 14-Jun-10 20:12:49

I might let her have a go - I had a horrible eyelash dye in the eye experience in my teens that put me off for life! The kits are probably better now!

ladysybil Mon 14-Jun-10 20:21:00

aged 3.10 at her aunts wedding. she had the full works. however, since then, she has been allowed makeup when we go to weddings, but since we go to one a year, its not such a big thing.
a long time ago, when i was teaching, insisted that if the girls in my form, year 8, were going to put makeup on, they needed to ensure it was 'professional day wear' not 'party wear' and i wouldnt make them wash it off, ( or try to). seemed to work quite well. there were no drag queens in my form.

Bonsoir Mon 14-Jun-10 20:21:01

Make sure she has taken off her mascara really well, and washed her eyes (closed) with a soapy cleanser to remove all oil etc.

I do the top lashes first, and leave the dye on for about 20 minutes, and then put dye on the bottom ones for 5 minutes or so. And jump in the shower to wash it all off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now