Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

What age were you kids when you let them play out of your sight alone?

(18 Posts)
charliecat Wed 10-Aug-05 21:39:36

Just wondering.

WigWamBam Wed 10-Aug-05 21:40:28

Do you mean alone in the house, or alone in the garden, or alone away from the house?

charliecat Wed 10-Aug-05 21:40:46

away from house.

WigWamBam Wed 10-Aug-05 21:41:16

Ah, right. My dd is only 4, so it hasn't happened yet

MarsLady Wed 10-Aug-05 21:42:23

47!

dinosaur Wed 10-Aug-05 21:43:48

DS1 and DS2 are six and four, and at the moment we're on holiday in Ireland, and for the first time I'm fairly relaxed about letting them play outside unsupervised. Wouldn't be so relaxed at home in London though!

Distel Wed 10-Aug-05 21:48:50

My two are 3 and nearly 6 and we live in a flat so have no garden. They play outside where I can watch them from the balcony. I don't watch them like a hawk but could hear them if they shouted from anywhere in the flat. We live in a quiet road where there is hardly any traffic and they have a big green to play on out side the flat. This is the first summer they have been alowed out to play and the 3 year old only is allowed out when I watch constantly. Bit more relaxed with ds.

Lonelymum Wed 10-Aug-05 21:49:44

It must depend on the situation surely. Where I used to live there was a green about 150 yards along the road (quiet residential) on our side of the road and a lot of local children (it was a village so most knew each other) would play there. Well, I would let my children then aged 8 and 6 play there and take their 4 year old sister there too as long as they all stayed together.

But we have now moved and are on a main road and there isn't a place nearby where children congregate, except a small stream next to our house but I am worried about them falling in to it, so at the moment, although they are now 9 and 7, they don't alone away from the house.

Lonelymum Wed 10-Aug-05 21:51:05

they don't play alone away from the house.

spidermama Wed 10-Aug-05 21:55:51

I remember playing within a half mile radius of my home with all the kids from the neighbourhood. We lived on a dead end street with the beach and a golf course at the end so I was really lucky.

I love to be in a safe enclosed place where I can allow them to run off out of sight but know they'll come to no harm and I can find them if I get worried. (My oldest is 7) It rarely happens.

I can do it at the woods near my mum's in Dorset.

Gone are the Milly Molly Mandy days of sending your kids out to play for the day with a boiled egg in their pockets. Shame!

fimbelle Wed 10-Aug-05 22:28:30

My kids are 4.9 and 2.3 years old and im not letting them out to play without supervision for a few years yet. Im not joking up the road from me theres a few nutters who let their two and three years olds out on the own to play, beside a road. Yesterday i was walking home with my kids and the binlorry was going up the road and a wee boy who only turned three last week was actually in the middle of the roadx on a wee trike. FFS his mum is about 40 and im 25 and ive more sense than her. It makes me so mad one of the kids up the road from me is gonna get knocked down. There is a lot of people round my way let young kids run about its terrible. When i open my front door there is a foootpath then the road so i keep that door locked at all times. And out my back ive got an enclose garden and i have a padlock on the gate.

Lizita Wed 10-Aug-05 22:30:50

Everything's changed. My dd only almost 2 and i live in london so i can't imagine when I'd let her play out. But when we were little we were playing out in the street all the time. It's sad in a way, we got so much out of it.

KBear Wed 10-Aug-05 22:31:51

LOL at the boiled egg in their pockets!!!

KBear Wed 10-Aug-05 22:32:26

and my answer is when they are married with children of their own!

MrsGordonRamsay Wed 10-Aug-05 22:32:33

and with both his grandparents.

Fimbo Wed 10-Aug-05 22:32:50

My dd is 7 and ds is 20mths and its not going to be happening anytime soon. They play outside in the enclosed garden and thats it. Sorry but there are too many nutters around.

SaintGeorge Wed 10-Aug-05 22:40:57

DS1 was 5. He's now nearly 8 and occasionally I let him take DS2 (4) out with him when I know some of the older local kids are about to keep an eye on them.

They are allowed to play out in the tenfoot, as are most of the neighbourhood kids.

SaintGeorge Wed 10-Aug-05 22:43:06

A tenfoot is a wide alleyway giving access to garages at the rear of our houses, before anyone asks .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: