Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HOW DO I TEACH MY 7 YEAR OLD TO RESPECT THE ROAD????

(6 Posts)
ssd Wed 10-Aug-05 21:38:03

We've always talked about the importance of road safety and done all of the traffic club books. Also look both ways before crossing etc.

BUT tonight my ds1 who's 7 was out playing with friends when a taxi sped by. Instead of jumping onto the pavement he stood in the road and it passed him by inches. But he didn't even flinch. I seen it happen as I was walking up to call him in. He knew I was there but it made no difference. I'm sure it wasn't bravado in front of the other boys, I think he just genuinely didn't think being on the road when a car speeds by is dangerous.

I'm at my wits end. He's been banned from playing on that road again. How do I explain how dangerous the road is? I told him I'm going to take him into a hospital to see car accident victims. He's told me to stop going on

What can I do?

curtains Thu 11-Aug-05 07:27:53

does he have road safety when you are with him?I think he was showing off for his friends.Don't let him out!

batters Thu 11-Aug-05 08:17:04

ssd this is a tough one I think. If I were you I would immediately stop him playing outside with his friends until he accepts the dangers of being near a road. Easier said than done I know, but at the age of 7 your ds is able to differentiate between safety and danger and should be encouraged to do so. I couldn't trust my dd who is 7 to play outside on her own at all. And she has a lot of road sense, but it just takes a few seconds of a child not thinking for him / her to get knocked over.

ssd Thu 11-Aug-05 08:31:46

I've told him he can't play near the raod where this happened. There is a patech if grass near us and I told him he can play there. TBH I don't think I could keep him in, our garden is very small and he wants to be out ALL DAY LONG.

ssd Thu 11-Aug-05 10:51:12

bump

ruty Thu 11-Aug-05 12:52:07

i was hit by a car when i was 13. I was in hospital for 3 months. I would resort to scare tactics if he were my son i'm afraid. Or i just would not let him play out there full stop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now