Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can a 19 mth old have nightmares?

(6 Posts)
vkone Wed 10-Aug-05 15:44:32

My son regularly cries in the night and when one of us goes in he is sitting up but still asleep. I usually stroke his hair and he settles down and and continues sleeping BUT this can happen several times a night.

We've checked if he's too hot/cold etc. and I'm wondering whether he's actually having nightmares. He will sometimes cry for just a minute and then quieten down himself with no help from us, but not always.

Does anyone else have experience of this? The poor lamb can look abit baggy eye'd in the mornings (as can his mummy!)

Mia

lunavix Wed 10-Aug-05 15:45:46

I think so, ds has had these since birth (when he was 3 days old he woke up with a scream, but then the birth was traumatic for both of us!)

hunkermunker Wed 10-Aug-05 15:47:28

Yes, DS did this last night (he's 16mo). He's cried in his sleep since he was little (and laughed too!) - but last night was a real heartrending wail Wondering if he's remembering his hospital trauma on Monday

marne Wed 10-Aug-05 15:56:55

Glad my dd's not the only one, she wakes up screeming, sometimes her eyes are still shut and she is sat up crying, sometimes she just settles herself and goes back to sleep and other times i have to wake her up then calm her down. At first i thought she was in pain maybe teath or tummy ache but once she had woken up a bit she was ok.
DD is only 18 months, thought it was to young to have nightmares, makes you wounder what goes on in there little heads.

vkone Wed 10-Aug-05 17:30:33

yes poor things, DS is also spectacularly grumpy in the mornings if he's awake before 8am - theres no talking to him, just wants some milk and a snooze. This does run in my family tho, I can't really talk to people before 9am and my brother's even later!

loupylou Wed 10-Aug-05 19:13:55

My dd did and so did a friend's son. HV said they were night terrors, just comfort and that they probably didn't remeber anything in the morning. They past in about 8-10 weeks for both of us, but upsetting at the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now