Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Need suggestions to make bathtime fun! ...for me!

(43 Posts)
Lizita Mon 08-Aug-05 19:34:20

I find bathtime a real drag. It's the end of the day, I'm tired, I just want to get dd into bed as quickly as possible. Unfortunately dd loves her bath...

Anyone else feel like this? I'm aware that if i was working I would probably treasure that time, but as it is I'm just SO BORED of bathtime!!

Any ideas on how to make it more exciting for me?? At the moment I sit by the bath while dd mucks about with her bath toys, I sing a song or two then get her out. Poor thing only gets 5 mins, 10 mins at the most, in the bath.

nannyjo Mon 08-Aug-05 19:35:51

what about getting in with her???

Janbo25 Mon 08-Aug-05 19:36:14

i sometimes have a bath at the same time and play games and squirties and books together

Lizita Mon 08-Aug-05 19:39:46

ooh never thought of that nannyjo! Now that's an idea... how hot can a bath be for a 2 yr old though? I like mine hot!

merglemergle Mon 08-Aug-05 19:39:59

TBH, I used to often sit and read or knit (!) beside the bath. Then he got as long as he wants and I got some me time (sort of). I do a few songs etc too.

It would drive me nuts to play boats with him for as long as he wants but I am mean.

Now I use the time to bf dd in peace. how the mighty have fallen.

Lizita Mon 08-Aug-05 19:41:39

Merglemergle, that sounds good too though I must admit I'd feel mean too! I'm same re playing boats etc. I have this idea in my head that bathtime is supposed to be a really special, fun time, don't know why...from my own baths as a child, or does everyone think that?

basketcase Mon 08-Aug-05 19:42:08

What about listening to the radio? Obv. placed out of water’s way...

BarefootMama Mon 08-Aug-05 19:42:50

loads of rude ideas for after dd in bed!

nannyjo Mon 08-Aug-05 19:43:29

how old is she if shes 10 months plusish then reasonably warm but not as warm as you would have it if you like it very warm, they say dip in your elbow and it'll feel comfortable, a little bit warmer then that is fine though my DS loves it quite warm.

tassis Mon 08-Aug-05 19:43:42

Sympahty - I just don't have the patience to sit and do nothing. I've also been with ds all day, though, so happily bathtime is dh's thing.

You could clean the bathroom at the same time? Listen to music or a story tape? Sit on the loo and read a magazine while drinking a glass of wine?

Lizita Mon 08-Aug-05 19:44:33

Radio sounds good too! Wow I must be SO uncreative not thinking of these things! I always just try and focus 100% on dd in her bath! Or maybe I'm just not creative at that time of day...

tassis Mon 08-Aug-05 19:44:39

I hate sharing bath with ds. Far too cold. Sometimes sit on the edge with my feet in. He likes that.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Mon 08-Aug-05 19:45:31

we always find a shared bath is more enjoyable.... and it does help me wind down after a nightmare day!

Dh had his first bath with jess tonight and i ended up wetter than they were!

Lizita Mon 08-Aug-05 19:45:43

Right this is inspiring me now... there is no reason dd's bathtime can't be a bit of me-time too! Yipppeee!

Lizita Mon 08-Aug-05 19:46:16

dd is almost 2.

justmummy Mon 08-Aug-05 20:46:37

Always take my book with me whilst my two are in the bath.
Sometimes use the time to paint my toenails as well - never seem to get the chance any other time.

milward Mon 08-Aug-05 20:55:24

Take a cup of tea into the bathroom & just relax.

KBear Mon 08-Aug-05 20:58:31

I often take the beanbag in, sit and browse a magazine. Mine are 6 and 3 and LOVE the bath but I know what you mean -come evening I've had it and just want them in bed. This solves it, I'm resting, they're happy.

Lizita Mon 08-Aug-05 20:59:22

Well, this had made me realise I had far too many expectations of myself at bathtime! How interesting! Thanks everyone !

toothyboy Mon 08-Aug-05 21:02:41

Oh my god - have not read the whole thread yet, but I've been thinking of starting exactly the same thread! I'm sure it's because the end of the day is in sight and I can't wait to relax! I may come back with some more thoughts when I've read all the replies - but you are definitely not alone!

toothyboy Mon 08-Aug-05 21:06:07

Have now read whole thread and can't wait for tomorrow's bath time with a cup of tea and some biccies! Would have a glass of wine but am 11 wks pg!
Could also take dp's new laptop and come on mn (if he'd let me touch it!).

loupylou Mon 08-Aug-05 21:41:41

I'll keep an eye out, where i got it but we have an ace plug, which turns pink when the water is too hot! so water is ok, for us both (and i would have it hotter if no dd) she loves my company and thinking back about how she used to bf. Lots of conversations with awkward questions expected to come soon. We play lots of puoring games and have lots of laughter, her confidence is great and she'll help wash her own hair!! She's 2.8

WestCountryLass Mon 08-Aug-05 22:47:11

I usually get in the bath too, sometimes I do clean the bathroom while they are splashing as well.

Nemo1977 Mon 08-Aug-05 22:50:10

sometimes i take a book or mag into bathroom with me so ds can have a good 30mins splashing around and i sit next to bath reading...lol Also do the cleaning bathroom thing

christie1 Tue 09-Aug-05 00:12:22

I actually found bathtime so stressful with more than 1 kids andthem running everywhere (I would break a sweat) that I now but them to bed as is and do it first thing in the am or middle of hte day and it goes well as we are still fresh and not tired and cranky. Just wash hands and face in pm, then put them to bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now