Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

bad mummy alert - i got a letter this morning asking me why i missed dd2's hearing appt at the hospital

(13 Posts)
nailpolish Thu 04-Aug-05 13:55:11

completely forgot about it. and i had been so worked up about it

now i have to wait another 6 wks til the next one. everything is just so busy just now, but how could i forget? i so ashamed

Bethron Thu 04-Aug-05 14:23:25

Message withdrawn

nailpolish Thu 04-Aug-05 14:27:45

god no - you are right - i wont miss the next one! i could just imagine them gossiping about me at the clinic - "....and she didnt even phone...."

TinyGang Thu 04-Aug-05 15:06:00

Don't be too hard on yourself NP - a genuine mistake.

My dd has a regular appointment with the audiologist and they are always cancelling the long awaited appointments at the last minute with no apology or explanation.

It drives me mad as she ends up waiting months for another one. I know they're busy but they can be very arrogant about it and all the changing of dates has nearly made me miss it too.

nailpolish Thu 04-Aug-05 15:07:34

can i be nosy tinygang? how many tests do they do before they say there is a problem? (and investigate further?) do you know?

geogteach Thu 04-Aug-05 15:21:08

Just to but in my DS has a hearing prob diagnosed at 3.5, they did grommets immediately after first appt, then hearing aids after test 3 or 4

nailpolish Thu 04-Aug-05 15:25:15

they just keep giving me follow on appts! i dont even think there is a problem. when i ask they say "the last one was failed" ???????????????

what are grommets exactly? ive heard of them but dont know anything about them - thanks

Hausfrau Thu 04-Aug-05 15:35:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TinyGang Thu 04-Aug-05 15:41:57

Well, in our case dd's teacher mentioned that she wasn't sure if she could hear her too well (this was when she was aged 3-5yrs). She went through a stage of getting nasty earaches a lot after colds or if water got in them from swimming.

We ended up seeing an audiologist about avery 6 mths (appts often cancelled and moved) and he would do a hearing test on her. He concluded that her hearing was basically ok but that her ears were extremely tiny inside and were prone to blocking very easily with wax - the build up of which was causing pain and periodically dulled hearing. This problem would come and go - apparantly they don't syringe childrens ears at this age so we had to try and shift it with sodium bicarbonate drops and use earplugs to stop water getting in. Water gets trapped behind the wax which expands and causes pressure and pain so we were told.

When she turned six, they said she could have them unblocked by a procedure at hospital using a suction probe. She had it done in March and couldn't believe how she could suddenly hear so well. I was quite choked to think she'd been living with this so long and such a simple thing corrected it!

We were supposed to go again in July (they cancelled it, so now Sept) just to make sure it's still clear. As she gets bigger though the problem doesn't seem so bad although she's still very sensitive about her ears and we still use earpulgs and a hat when she swims.

Phew - that was a long one, hope I haven't sent you to sleep NP! I have been quite reassured by the audiologist and the outcome, but getting those appointments can take some time unfortunately. Hope it goes well for your dd Is this her first appt or is it on-going?

nailpolish Thu 04-Aug-05 16:21:15

that sounds great tinygang - it sounds like as your dd is getting bigger, her little ears are getting bigger too. i hope she only gets better xxx

its our first appt at the hospital after loads with the hv

sparklymieow Thu 04-Aug-05 16:30:55

well in the last few months, I have

taken DS to GOSH, thinking that my hairdresser appointment was the following day only to find out when I got home that my hairdresser appointment are the same day

forgot DD1's 6 monthly checkup with the hospital and now I have to wait till nov,

and forgot my appointment with the hearing dept to have my ears cleaned and cleared

BAD BAD MUMMY here!!!!!!!

kcemum Thu 04-Aug-05 20:21:39

Nailpolish, Grommetts sre small hollow tubes which are placed in the eardrum/s usually under a g/a. There primary aim is to allow fluid or glue which accumalates in the ear to drain away in the normal way although you can also get the fluid coming out of the hole into the earcanal. My daughter had these fitted due to moderate hearing loss caused by glue, however it hasn't been 100% successfull.

nailpolish Thu 04-Aug-05 20:35:25

thank you v much for that. i hope your daughter is better soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now