Talk

Advanced search

Routine on holiday

(7 Posts)
ETsmum Mon 01-Aug-05 20:19:24

Hi

Dh, ds and I are gooing away for a few days soon, which will be our 1st proper holiday - ds is 2. He is a fantastic sleeper (and pretty well behaved generally) at home, but I'm so worried it'll all go to pot on hol. He is a real "routine baby" which is fine at home, but do any of you have any tips for being away?? Going by boat, so can take a fair bit of stuff....I thought own (familliar) bedding, cuddly toys etc. Sure lots of you will think I'm being a nurotic mother, but ds has always found new situations quite hard, and I want to make sure he has fun on hol (and preferably that he sleeps okish too!)

nailpolish Mon 01-Aug-05 20:21:26

take his usual bedding too, like sheets and blankets - the lot!

my dd1 was 18mths on our first holiday and she was fine - the same as at home.

actually, she was a bit better even, because since we were on holiday we were busy busy busy all day long and she was exhausted every evening!

have fun!

Surfermum Mon 01-Aug-05 20:29:00

I worried about this too! DD (2.2) is another fantastic sleeper and I was paranoid on our first trip away that something would rock the boat. When we've been away I've always taken something familiar from her cot and she's been fine, but on our last trip forgot a toy for the cot and she was still fine.

toothyboy Mon 01-Aug-05 20:29:20

He sounds a lot like my ds with the routines and finding new situations hard. I find it really helps him if I explain constantly what's going to happen and what to expect, and get him to repeat bits back to me to check he understands. It's only when faced with the unexpected that he throws a wobbly!

So make sure to tell him what it'll be like on the boat. Show him where he's going to sleep when you get there and try and get him used to the bed/room long before bedtime. Also try not to let him see if you're anxious - it'll probably make him worse!

Sorry if you've already figured that stuff out and hope you have a lovely time!

milward Mon 01-Aug-05 20:51:54

Go with how you feel - even if you might not need all the things take them. It will make you confident.

ETsmum Mon 01-Aug-05 21:36:58

Thanks so much for the suggestins and reassurance I'm probabky about 90% sure that he will in fact be fine, and as nailpolish said, all the stuff we'll be doing should tire him out!

And thoothyboy, have been telling him all about the boat etc (we've been on a boat for daytrips.) He keeps saying it'll go "up and down up and down up and down" and waving his arms around Great idea about letting him settle into his room well before bed as well. He's slept at both sets of grandparents before, but I think it's the fact that EVERYTHING will be new thats worrying me.....

toothyboy Tue 02-Aug-05 21:51:19

Thought of something else today, ETsmum, make sure you show ds where you and dh will be sleeping - especially if it's in a different room!
And that's so cute about the boat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now