Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AM A BIT WORRIED ABOUT MY DD

(8 Posts)
ElliesMomma Mon 01-Aug-05 11:03:49

OK a bit of a long one here............. For the past 4 to 5 months Ellie has been losing weight, the last time i got her weighed she was 20lbs 11 oz (which is good coz she put on about 5 oz) but before she has been 19lbs 7oz which is what she weighed when she was 9 months old!!! She eats loads and i mean loads!! shes's like a human dustbin and i can't understand why she is losing so much weight, My HV doesn't help either coz i can't stand her! she allways treats me like a kid and when ever i ask her about something she tells me to stop being silly and that its nothing to worry about, and know that Ellie is losing weight she is grilling me about what i feed her and even asked if she ate 3 times a day!!! as if i was starving her!!! Im not too worried becasue Ellie looks healthy and she's happy but it is worring me a bit becasue i know she shouldn't be losing so much weight. Anyone got any ideas why this could be happening?? any advice is greatfully recieved! from Samantha

stacijc Mon 01-Aug-05 11:08:52

how old is she? it could be that she is using up many many calories running around?

My 2 yo hasn't put on any weight for a year and its a nightmare finding clothes to fit...my hv is also useless so i don't even takle my eldest anymore!! What i would say is, as long as she is eating properly and regulalrly and snacks as well i mean, and is generally well with plenty of wet and dirty nappies then maybe that is just what is "normal" for her.
Does she have whole milk? if not i would put her on that in cereals and give her that to drink during the day. more calories in a healthy way.
Not sure what else ruight now,i posted something similar somewhere else so i will have alook

hth staci x

blondehelen Mon 01-Aug-05 11:10:10

I really wouldn't worry if she is well and happy in herself. (you didn't say how old she is) My dd was the same, she put on about 2lb in about a year!(from 2 - 3 yrs old) She was and still is a very active child and just happens to burn up all she eats. As long as she is eating and doesn't look underweight and is eating I shouldn't worry. If you are worried, bypass your HV and go straight to your Gp. HTH

KiwiKate Mon 01-Aug-05 11:59:45

My friend had the same "problem" with her 2yo. Had all sorts of check ups and tests and everything was normal. They thought she was underfeeding her, but she eats like a horse. Is just very active (even when she sits down she is figdeting). In the end the paed said if she is happy, alert and developing then there is no need to worry.

ElliesMomma Mon 01-Aug-05 12:36:34

Ellie is 16 months old and yes she is walking

jura Mon 01-Aug-05 13:54:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DissLocated Mon 01-Aug-05 14:20:35

My DD is 15 mo and is a bit of a titch despite eating like a horse. I stopped getting her weighed and stopped worrying! I haven't taken her to see the hv since Xmas and this summer have even squeezed her into some of last summer's trousers (although they are 3/4 length now!) She full of energy and mischief so I don't see the need to worry.

If you are worried though, you could bypass the hv and see your gp instead.

PeachyClair Mon 01-Aug-05 15:20:19

A couple of mine are like this, DS3 so much so that we have been right through paediatrics. No joy from anyone though! DH is also built like this, and I think the activity thing matters: even when DH does remember to eat (I do my best!) he runs around on 100% all the time, sleep is a secondary requirement and he fidgets constantly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now