Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

help toddler throwing things (baby due any day!)

(10 Posts)
oops Fri 29-Jul-05 09:15:37

Message withdrawn

oops Fri 29-Jul-05 12:48:09

Message withdrawn

Nemo1977 Fri 29-Jul-05 12:50:03

think its the age my ds is 21mths and has been a thrower for past month or so. I use timeout which works well.

morningpaper Fri 29-Jul-05 12:50:34

I'd have a chat with him and explain that it is always a wrong thing to do.

Then EVERY time he does it, pick him up, shut him in his room and close the door for a few minutes.

starlover Fri 29-Jul-05 12:51:03

you say you've tried lots of things... but how long for? IME you have to be consistent. don't just try ignoring for an afternoon... do it for a couple of days.

if he throws something then say NO to him, loudly and firmly, in your most serious (scary) voice.
then put whatever it was back.

you have to keep on and on and on with the same approach. if you see him about to throw something don't cajole him or try to reason with himn... he is too little and he enjoys the attention.
again just say no, and take it from him.

oops Fri 29-Jul-05 13:18:48

Message withdrawn

beansontoast Fri 29-Jul-05 13:24:50

hi oops,
just to say im not pregnant and my 22 mnth ds is doing the same and its driving me nuts too...hang in there.
hope you get savvy with the 'time out' thing in time.
id been thinking my boy was too young too but im going to give it a try.
good luck x

oops Fri 29-Jul-05 13:30:50

Message withdrawn

Nemo1977 Sat 30-Jul-05 17:28:23

ooops the time out i use with ds i have used for about 6mths as he knows what he is doing is wrong but will push the boundaries. My DS is 21mths and we have a beanbag in the hall for time out. What i do is he will do something so I say no that is naughty, repeats it again so i say the same then on third go if he does it again then i say if you do it again then you will sit on your beanbag for being naughty. When he does it again then he has to sit on his beanbag in the hall for 1min. He actually wont move from the beanbag as it isnt used for anything other than timeout as i didnt want to confuse him. After a minute i say he can come back into the room and he does and 95% of the time he doesnt throw again...well that day anyway..pmsl

I think time out will work depending on your little one. My son understands a lot for his age so timeout seemed like a natural step in trying to reinforce good behaviour.
good luck

Carla Sat 30-Jul-05 17:39:30

It was a cot in the living room for us, followed by baby bouncer in the cot, unfortunately. It was only for a while. Till dd1 got used to the fact that someone might get hurt by hurling missiles at them. Or walking on them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now