Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

5yr old friends over in school holidays - how much to I have to do??

(7 Posts)
legacy Wed 27-Jul-05 11:50:23

OK I appreciate this probably sounds a stupid Q, but when my 5 year old has a friend over for the day in the holidays, what exactly, and more importantly how much do I need to do?

Because I normally work full time DS usually spends after school time at other people's houses/ kids clubs or with DH (who works from home) but I have a week off later in the holiday, and have arranged various days when he will have a friend over to ours.

- Do I have to organise specific things for them (e.g. painting etc)
- Can I take them out places - do parents mind say if I tookthem to soft play if it was raining?
- Or do I just leave them to it and get the Lego out?

I've realised I'm a complete novice at this full time Mum stuff!

figleaf Wed 27-Jul-05 13:15:51

Different kids need different things. Some kids will need an activity eg biscuit making, some will be ok if just left to play - See how it goes. Its a good idea to take them to soft play if it rains, cant see how anyone would mind (as long as they knew). Cinema trips can be good too but I`d stick to U certs.

I`m sure you`ll all have bags of fun!

Stilltrue Wed 27-Jul-05 22:26:57

Has your dh ever invited any of these same children round to play after school with your ds? Maybe he could do you some potted biographies of those concerned if that's the case, so you can plan "box of lego on the floor" or "trip to zoo", accordingly.
My dd is 6 (+ I have 2 older and 1 younger boys); ime figleaf is right; maybe play it by ear on the day if you don't know much about the children yet. If my child were invited out, I'd appreciate even a vague comment about plans such as "if it's sunny we might go to the park, is that ok with you"?. To be honest, keep it as simple as possible for your benefit and the children's; your ds and his mates just want to have fun and spend time together, so only worry about structure/the park/activities involving you if by some chance one of the little guests turns out to be a real tearaway>

AUBINA Fri 29-Jul-05 20:22:43

I have daughters of 7 and 5. One of older daughters friends mothers always plans an activity or outing when she visits which makes me feel inadequate! When children come here I just let them have free play. I feel they should use their imaginations and should have the freedom to do what they want. So much of their lives are structured these days.

However I always have a activity up my sleeve in case they fall out or one begins to dominate the situation above the other. I often let them help get tea ready, ready made pizza bases and do their own toppings for example.

I would always say if I was planning to take them anywhere because I know I would appreciate it myself.

I think what I'm trying to say is don't try too hard and let them take the lead.

bobbybob Fri 29-Jul-05 20:30:16

What would you do if it was just your ds? Do that!

tigermoth Fri 29-Jul-05 20:31:00

A whole day is quite a long time for a 5 year old visit IME, especially if you don't know the child. Any chance of making it a short-ish day?

I'd definitely agree on playing it by ear and letting the children have lots of free play. If you plan a park trip, it would be good to do this sooner rather than later (say an hour or two into the visit) then it uses up some of their energy. Do tell the parents you are thinking of taking them out.

You could also stock up on some cheap toys - pens, little cars, bubbles - two identical of each, so if you need an emergency mood changer or distraction, you have something handy.

If they start getting over excited, it helps to have some good children's dvds on hand.

Soft play if it's raining is an excellent idea!

trefusis Fri 29-Jul-05 20:39:01

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now