Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do I get rid of "Barney the dinosaur"??????

(24 Posts)
Nickinha Wed 27-Jul-05 10:37:09

I am in a state here - all my dd wants to do is sit and watch Barney. All hell breaks loose when I say NO. How do I tell her that he passed away and went to a better place??? Its almost as if she is obsessed! (she is 2yrs) Have tried getting her interested in other things but all she wants is Barney. This has been going on since I gave her the videos for Christmas...

Fio2 Wed 27-Jul-05 10:38:12

a stake through barneys heart should do the trick

Nickinha Wed 27-Jul-05 10:42:56

LOL did throw him accross the floor one day

Twiglett Wed 27-Jul-05 10:43:28

hahahahaha

barney has always been banned in this house so I've never had this problem ..

throw it out and distract her .. she'll forget about him in a week or 2

barney is the devil, it has been mathematically proven

bundle Wed 27-Jul-05 10:44:23

agree with fio, plus garlic for good measure..

heeheehaha Wed 27-Jul-05 10:45:32

Hee Hee! Your post remimded me of a marion keyes book where the mother wanted Barney dead.

Horrid dinasaur with children who are too squeaky clean and shiny looking

Bin them, bin them, bin them

colditz Wed 27-Jul-05 10:47:02

Take the videos away and insist that they are broken.

My ds has aught on that when things are broken, tantrums don't bring them back.

Nickinha Wed 27-Jul-05 10:47:49

lol @ Twiglett

I have tried to distract her, but no go! I am amazed how she remembers him. Goes straight to the TV after a full day at the beach and starts whining to watch him. This is a really serious problem. She used to sit and play by me while I cooked dinner - not anymore, just wants him... maybe I am a bit jealous? I just dont agree with a child sitting in front of the TV more than an hour a day (two half hour shifts).

Twiglett Wed 27-Jul-05 11:01:17

I wasn't making it up

barney is evil, mathematical proof

Nickinha Wed 27-Jul-05 11:08:11

THATS BRILLIANT!! PMSL, going to print and take home to show her, that might work

TinyGang Wed 27-Jul-05 11:18:53

Maybe some ideas here

Nickinha Wed 27-Jul-05 11:30:53

These are absolutely brilliant!!! printed that off too - guess what she will get for a bed time story

SoupDragon Wed 27-Jul-05 12:06:02

Get a toy barney, attack him with a kitchen knofe ansd say tht Barney has gone to hell now and won't be seen again.

OK, it may traumatise your DD for life but you'll feel SO much better, trust me.

Fio2 Wed 27-Jul-05 12:11:08

the whole thing of Barney just makes me want to vomit, i even want to slap the children on the show and that is SO wrong

tortoiseshell Wed 27-Jul-05 12:27:45

Good luck - ds has been OBSSESSED with Fireman Sam for 2 years now, no sign of it waning....so no tips but good luck!

Raspberry Wed 27-Jul-05 12:33:54

Good luck Nick, you'll need it....

(we are a 'Thomas, I want Thomas, Thomas, THOMAS!!! household, stupid little blue engine...)

Stilltrue Wed 27-Jul-05 22:09:08

aaarghhh bloody Barney!! Someone gave a video to my dd when she was about 18m; a bigger pile of irritating schmaltz I have yet to see. Yes, those stagey kids (do their parents really think that stage school summer camp was a good idea??), and those hideous songs yuk yuk yuk. Luckily she grew out of it, but for a while my teeth were regularly set on edge ! Let's hope for some good weather again, so you can distract your dd by keeping her out of doors as much as popssible. Sorry I can think of no quick solution for you other than a Barney Barbecue.

marthamoo Wed 27-Jul-05 22:14:09

Seems you are not alone in hating the purple one...

anti-Barney songs

ways to kill Barney

And here too!

mogwai Thu 28-Jul-05 09:39:08

that's done it.

I resolve not to accept the loan of Barney videos from our friends, who have a 20 month old son.

The husband is a very intelligent man, he won a scholarship to a music academy when he was a teenager. The last time I saw them, he was watching a Barney DVD with his son. Long after the son left the room, he continued tapping his foot to a song about Barney being on the farm, I don' think he even realised he was still watching it.

My life will NOT be reduced to this

FIMAC1 Fri 29-Jul-05 12:05:51

My dd was obssessed with Barney from about 1-3 although rather annoying at the time we now look back (her at 10 with embarrassement!) on it as quite sweet, harmless and part of her childhood - she had the Barney soft toy which she had to take everywhere and as it was a glove puppet too we had to make talk! Muchj as I can't abide it now she loved it then - its totally harmless really and they only go through that stage once - if she loves it whats the harm - it may not be 'cool' to like it but what the heck

Iklboo Fri 29-Jul-05 12:47:39

Tell her Brney dies and then take her to a natural history museum with a dinosaur display & show her the evidence! (Might get her interested in REAL dinosaurs)

spidermama Fri 29-Jul-05 12:49:23

I HATE Barney but I think you reap what you sow I'm afraid. You'll have to let the obsession run its course. It won't last long. Surely ...?

zaphod Fri 29-Jul-05 13:12:33

My ds1, now 11 was crazy about Barney. And we had to go through it with all the others. As i speak ds3 is watching the purple one. I find it's like background noise now, and it no longer annoys me.

jabberwocky Fri 29-Jul-05 13:20:46

Ds recently discovered that there is a website on Bob the Builder (eeek!) Have had to really resist his demands to see it several times a day. That said, I'm not sure what I would do if he had become used to seeing it quite a bit already. Perhaps tell him the site was down? Could you tell her the DVD player is broken? That would mean not watching any DVD's for a while for anyone but, hey, it's better than Barney. We got lucky on this one I suppose. After hearing comments like these, I banned Barney from the outset, so ds doesn't even know he exists.

<jabber grins smugly, then wonders what payback will be for this...>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now