Talk

Advanced search

Who rules the roost? (would you give your toddler booze?)

(56 Posts)
dejags Fri 22-Jul-05 21:18:38

You have probably had this programme on tele ages ago but out in sticks (arse end of Africa) it's only recently started.

Heres my point:

On tonights' show the mother gives the 3 year old son a beer and then later on in the show gives him wine (watered down but "thank goodness" he didn't notice).

I was shocked by this. Comments?

charliecat Fri 22-Jul-05 21:19:36

Bloody Ridiculus is what i thought at the time...cant say no to a kid that age? Got a problem, would she have offered him a smoke too?

dejags Fri 22-Jul-05 21:19:38

Not very clear. For those of you who don't know "Who Rules the Roost" is a reality tv show about parents giving up their careers (temporarily) to look after the kids, as an experiment to see how well they cope.

Ladymuck Fri 22-Jul-05 21:24:23

Didn't see this one. Will confess that I have allowed the ds's small sips of alcoholic drinks as I was fairly confident that they wouldn't like the taste.

Backfired slightly as ds2 likes Pimms.

But to serve them an entire alcoholic drink - not likely!

chicagomum Fri 22-Jul-05 21:27:08

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it illegal to give a child under the age of 14 alcohol?

tiffini Fri 22-Jul-05 21:29:43

Is it the one where the mother is a manager of a fitness centre??

vicdubya Fri 22-Jul-05 21:31:50

I think it's under 5, Chicagomum.

But of course it is ridiculous.

WigWamBam Fri 22-Jul-05 21:32:57

My dh thinks that introducing a little watered-down wine with a meal occasionally from the age of about 6 is a good way to ensure a healthy respect for alcohol when the child is older, and might stop them from binge-drinking when they're older - apparently it's the way the French deal with their children.

I wouldn't give alcohol to a three year old, and personally I think 6 is too young, but I do think that he's got a point, as long as it's given very occasionally and well watered-down.

Flossam Fri 22-Jul-05 21:35:31

LadyMuck, you have reminded me of when I was about 10 and we had toured the brandy making factory in Cognac, France. At the end, people were allowed to sample the product. Mum didn't let me. I begged and begged and begged, it smelt so nice.... Mum relented and I had a sip - then ran to the loos convinced I would be sick! So it can work.

But - completely shocked that anyone could give drink to anyone so young. Think of their little livers

Flossam Fri 22-Jul-05 21:36:22

WWB, I did used to have watered down wine from about 7 or so. I am sat here tonight with a bottle, so I'm not so sure that is always true!

chicagomum Fri 22-Jul-05 21:38:12

having seen the effects of alcohol on an unsupervised 2 year old at a bbq years ago i have to say that i think its appalling behaviour on the part of the parent and i'm suprised it was shown on tv

Blu Fri 22-Jul-05 21:39:39

'a beer' and wine for a 3 year old?
Aghast!
Why? Why would anyone think that wass a good idea, at 3?

fqueenzebra Fri 22-Jul-05 21:40:33

8, I thought the legal age to for a child to drink alcohol served by the parents at home was 8.....

TwinSetAndPearls Fri 22-Jul-05 21:44:01

dd (3.10) has a white wine spritzer with sunday lunch.

She has remarkable taste as well can't stand the likes of blackt tower/ frascsti and the ilk!

PeachyClair Fri 22-Jul-05 21:44:56

Dad used to let us have his homemade wine from about 10, best thing in world to put one off a drink I can tell you!!!!

Will let ds's have watered down wine from about 12 as part of a sensible, responsible family meal (eg Sunday lunch). Did let DS1 TASTE a little off a shaken finger (so literally a tiny taste), LOL ladymuck, it's JackDaniels for ds1!

We don't keep any in the house now just in case. Beacuse KIDS SHOULDNT DINK!

TwinSetAndPearls Fri 22-Jul-05 21:47:53

I think I have been told off!

She has a drop of wine mixed with lemonade in a special wine glass, I am sure there are worse things I could do.

Ladymuck Fri 22-Jul-05 21:49:01

This thread made me go and look it up - no alcohol for under 5s in the UK except in a medical emergency.

You learn something every day!

chicagomum Fri 22-Jul-05 21:50:03

i can (to an extent) understand the idea of allowing an older child to taste alcohol in the hope of making it not such a taboo and thus more inticing thing, but what is the point for a much smaller child. i can't see any benefits only potential harm

chicagomum Fri 22-Jul-05 21:51:05

sorry but what constitutes giving a child alcohol in a medical emergency?

TwinSetAndPearls Fri 22-Jul-05 21:53:38

Because we all have a glass of wine at dinner and she asked once if she could have some, as said it is a drop in a wine glass of lemonade, she has one glass and that is it.

ediemay Fri 22-Jul-05 21:54:43

My Dad used to give us a drop of wine in water or lemonade from about age 8, I used to have mine in a purple sherry glass and thought I was the bees' knees. I think it helped make it seem ordinary, not something to get worked up about.

morningpaper Fri 22-Jul-05 21:55:21

Maybe if they can't sleep?

Actually I have no problems with giving young children watered-down alcohol.

It's not like giving them brandy in their bottles of milk, as the nice ladies at church are always recommending to me ...

fqueenzebra Fri 22-Jul-05 21:55:56

i let mine have the occasional drop (& I do literally mean "drop") too, Twinset....

morningpaper Fri 22-Jul-05 21:57:42

At a barbecue last year I gave dd (who was 18 months) a beer bottle filled with apple juice because she wanted to drink from a beer bottle 'like daddy' ...

TwinSetAndPearls Fri 22-Jul-05 21:59:20

I am quite amused that this is working people up, my grandma's generation sent their babied to bed on a tod of whisky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now