Talk

Advanced search

Playdate etiquette: We met, but should I call her, or will I seem needy?!?

(17 Posts)
morningpaper Fri 22-Jul-05 11:54:06

Invited a friend of dd (2) over to play about a month ago - went well, mother was lovely, brought her young baby too. We agreed we'd meet again.

BUT SHE HASN'T RUNG! Should I call her? Was I too boring? I don't want to seem NEEDY and DESPERATE! (I am of course - in need of adult conversation) Who should make the first move?!

Please advice.

fee77 Fri 22-Jul-05 11:57:48

Phone her - she can always make an excuse!

fruitful Fri 22-Jul-05 11:58:19

Oh, phone her! Nothing wrong with seeming needy, everyone knows what its like. She might like to be needed.

She might just be really shy, or busy, or have lost your number or something.

Could you arrange an outing somewhere with another friend, and invite this lady along too?

CarolinaMoon Fri 22-Jul-05 11:58:27

Maybe she's feeling the same way? Agree it is really her turn, but maybe she's unsure about what you thought?

Give her a call and ask if she wants to do it again - if nothing comes of that then forgot about it and try someone else.

Don't think a month later is needy or desperate!

Twiglett Fri 22-Jul-05 11:59:24

yes call her

hovely Mon 25-Jul-05 15:40:00

or text her if you want to be even more casual (only if you have her mobile number of course...)

compo Mon 25-Jul-05 15:41:04

definitely call her. Phoning after a month isn't needy

Mum2girls Mon 25-Jul-05 15:44:01

Agree - call her.

spidermama Mon 25-Jul-05 15:48:05

How about you call her but put the ball back in her court as regards an exact date for meet up. So it'll go something like this ...

'Hi. D'you fancy doing another playday?'
'Yes, that'd be good'.
'Ok. Well I've got a bit of free time the week after next so have a think and work out when you might be able to do it'.

Chances are she'll probably organise it from there. If not, time to focus attention on someone more interested. These things have to be mutual to avoid feelings of insecurity.

marthamoo Mon 25-Jul-05 16:02:29

Call her but make it neutral if you're really worried about seeming needy (though I'm sure with a 2 year old and a baby she's in need of adult company too).

So instead of "please come to my house again I'm going insane from lack of adult conversation, please, please, I'll be your friend for life, damnit I'll even pay you, in blood if you like," try "hi, we're going to the park tomorrow - wondered if you'd like to meet us there."

motherinferior Mon 25-Jul-05 16:06:38

She's probably sitting by the phone fretting, MP. Feel the fear and do it anyway.

saadia Mon 25-Jul-05 16:34:24

lol marthamoo

morningpaper Mon 25-Jul-05 17:07:29

Weirdly enough I bumped into her and we had a chat! She is in the middle of moving but said she would ring me after that. She seemed friendly though...

BareFootAngel Mon 25-Jul-05 17:25:09

marthamoo is that where im going wrong then????

katierocket Mon 25-Jul-05 17:26:08

moo

BareFootAngel Mon 25-Jul-05 17:27:04

katie you r odd!

BareFootAngel Mon 25-Jul-05 17:27:26

but in a nice way

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now