Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Critisim or discussions?

(8 Posts)
Louise1970 Fri 22-Jul-05 09:06:12

How come many people like to dish out there critisim about how you deal with your children. But when they start to have probelms and ask for your advice, do parents turn round and say what you have said to them is rubbish. Why can we not have honest/discussions any more. Why do we live in a society where we say politically correct things. It is hard being a parent, but surely we should be looking at a bigger picture of matters rather than just the bubble most people live in..

I will now duck, as i know this thread will get a lot of your backs up....
PS My spelling in appauling.

acnebride Fri 22-Jul-05 09:37:38

My view would be that advice is intrinsically upsetting because the adviser is framing themselves as wiser than the person they're advising.

And re political correctness - could it possibly be that the people saying things that you think are politically correct, are actually just saying what they really think?

CarolinaMoon Fri 22-Jul-05 10:03:24

Louise, is this about the thread you started about your friend not taking her kids out?

Windermere Fri 22-Jul-05 10:21:42

Louise, I think sometimes people just like to have a good old bitch and it is easy to rant at an anyomous poster. Also, sometimes the topic may be a little close to home and the poster may feel that you are having a go at them. The threads that get to me are often because I can relate to them, for example when I first joined mumsnet I would get upset at the threads regarding breastfeeding as I was not successful at it. At the end of the day it is just peoples opinions and in RL we are all a little more diplomatic and tactful. I am more outspoken on here than in RL and on a couple of occasions i have felt the need to apologise for coming across overly harsh.

Louise1970 Fri 22-Jul-05 10:29:36

i started thinking about my friend yes. But i think with the messages on the thread. it then turned a corner and thought it could be an interesting chat. If you know me on mumsnet. I do like asking for discussions on a lot of what i hear about. it's just different thoughts i suppose. Different angles. I must admit when i need help for anything in life. I think what would i do, then i think, what would other people do, the best way to find out is to ask. mumsnet is a great place to stir up great topics. So my discussions are never based on just me, but life and things i see and question. I love looking avarious senerios (even if i can't spell it)...

Louise1970 Fri 22-Jul-05 10:31:44

winderemere. I know exactly what you mean. This is why i love it. You all seem like a group of friends that i meet daily, its great. If mohamed cant go to the mountain, and all that..

CarolinaMoon Fri 22-Jul-05 10:40:15

I didn't think that thread was too bad myself, maybe some posts were a bit "short" iykwim. It's just different people's take on it - which is what you were after, weren't you?

Louise1970 Fri 22-Jul-05 10:47:32

axactly... It passes the time, keeps mums inconversations, rather than babble talk all day when it is half term and are restricted where to go. You know me too well...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: