Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Present Ideas for a Four Year Old's Baptism?

(12 Posts)
14hourstillbedtime Mon 22-Mar-10 20:17:26

I am godmum to my friend's just-turned-four-year-old, who will be being baptised shortly (took them ages to find a church they agreed with, had crisis of conscience about the whole religion thing, etc, etc). Now, I am godmum to a girl who got baptised as a baby (and had my own DS baptised when he was a baby, too) but I am totally stumped about what to get an older child for this type of ceremony? Must be something not too fancy schmancy as they are very low key people (like, no silver spoons, etc) but I can't think of anything appropriately 'celebratory' that isn't just a bog-standard present idea (aka books, Thomas stuff, etc)?

Any ideas?

flaime Mon 22-Mar-10 21:03:36

I saw a silver plated yoyo in a shop the other day which was a bit unusual and may be nicer for an older child? You were able to get it engraved too.

Other than that how about a nice wooden toy, something she may like to keep even when she is too old to play with it?

My DD was also 4 when she got baptised and was given a child's bible which she has enjoyed looking at as she's grown up (we're not religious but she still likes it).

Hope that's some help?

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 22-Mar-10 21:08:28

Message withdrawn

lisbey Mon 22-Mar-10 21:10:30

I've never done this, but have always thought it might be a good idea?

A complete set of coins from the year the child was born - as it was four years ago, they should be easier to find in circulation (but still shiney)

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 22-Mar-10 21:10:47

Message withdrawn

littledawley Mon 22-Mar-10 21:13:00

Each of my children got a bible from their Godparents which was lovely. Don't know what your budget is like but DD got a Sweetie bracelet from Links of London from her Godfather (lucky girl!)
I think that something for when she is older is a lovely idea. If not that then maybe a painting or print?

JGBMum Mon 22-Mar-10 21:24:07

How about a "willow tree" statue of a guardian angel? Dd had one of these at her first communion last year.
Link here

14hourstillbedtime Tue 23-Mar-10 20:08:18

These are all absolutely fab! Thank you so much! I will definitely do one of the many lovely things you have suggested, after I narrow down exactly what my budget is

NewDKmum Tue 23-Mar-10 21:27:26

Jewellery, e.g. a cross pendant for a necklace?

In addition to the coins - a box with newspapers and magazines from the date of her baptism - which she is allowed to open on the date of her communion?

NewDKmum Tue 23-Mar-10 21:28:42

A crayon drawing of her face? Some artists do these on the basis of a digital photo and post them back to you.

greatfiresoflondon Tue 23-Mar-10 21:33:52

One of my friends bought an illustration by quentin blake (from roald dahl books) and had that framed for her godson, who was baptised at about 4 or 5 I think. I thought it was a lovely idea.

livingthegoodlife Sat 04-Nov-17 21:59:20

a special keepsake style doll?

snowglobe

steiff teddy bear

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now