Talk

Advanced search

Do you pre-warn kids about injections?

(13 Posts)
QueenOfFaff Thu 21-Jul-05 12:10:32

Sorry, this is probably a very dull and silly question but...
My almost five year old ds is due to get pre-school boosters this afternoon and so far I haven't mentioned anything to him. His last injection was for MMR when he was three and then I gave him no pre-warning. The HV prepared the needles out of sight and then kind of snuck up on him
My instinct is to do similar this time to avoid prolonged anxiety beforehand but really not sure whether this is the best thing to do.
What has anyone else done in this situation?

trinityrocks Thu 21-Jul-05 12:31:52

I chose to tell my 5 yr old and she TOTALLY freaked out when we got to the docs, it took ages to get it done and we almost had to abandon it and do it another time, but I knew that if I did that I would never get her back in the door!!

I think she freaked out because it's unknown and they get scaredbecause they are IMAGINING what it will be like

Given a second chance I would do what you are doing, I think it's fine and then he gets to see and feel what it is Actually like (hurts a bit but is quick) instead of working hiself up about what it COULD be like,
I think it's fine to do what you are doing, hope it goes well )

SoupDragon Thu 21-Jul-05 12:36:10

Tell him he's going to get some medicine to keep him well and when it's time, explain when you get in the nurse's office just before having them. Can't get away then!

I told DS1 about it before we went and he was fine but was a year older (end of reception)

Aero Thu 21-Jul-05 12:39:08

I tell them and they're fine about it, but that's probably because I buy the local anaesthetic cream (like they use in hospitals) in Boots beforehand and it works like a charm - they don't feel a thing. Costs just under £2 a tube and is worth every penny!

frogs Thu 21-Jul-05 12:42:06

We did this one last year. I felt I had to tell him, because 4 year-olds are big enough to understand and know that they've been lied to.

I only told him on the way to the docs, though, and in the context of, "We're going into the sweetshop now, and you can choose which sweets you'd like to have when you've been a brave boy for your injections." He did ask if it would hurt, and I said it would be like a little scratch, but would be over very quickly. He was fine about it until we were actually in the nurse's surgery, at which point I did have to just hold him down while she did the deed. But at least he knew what was coming and didn't feel I'd pulled a fast one on him.

And then as soon as it's done you can whip out the smarties.

motherinferior Thu 21-Jul-05 12:42:51

I followed a friend's advice; DD1 knows she's getting hers followed by SWEETS.

motherinferior Thu 21-Jul-05 12:43:26

Which is actually incredibly thrilling for her as she moans I am Bad Carer who never gives her sweeties unlike Fab Daddy and her childminder

Blu Thu 21-Jul-05 12:52:57

Same as MI.
V low key mention of injection, have sweets ready, produce lolly to unwrap as needle goes in - Ds merely said an indignant 'ow', but didn't let his concentration waver from lolly.

We have loads of medical appts, so I need him to know that he won't be hoodwinked or have unpleasant surprises sprung on him.

lulabelle Thu 21-Jul-05 14:04:13

My ds went on Tuesday, I told him we were going to the docs but as I'm pg and he has been with me the last few times, he just assumed that he was coming with me and I left it at that. When we got in there he asked 'am I here for an injection'? He got on my lap and she asked him to count and he did, he was really brave - he had 2 I thought he was just having the 1 - I cried more than he did! I think if you are going to tell them don't do it too far in advance so that they worry for longer.

Magscat Thu 21-Jul-05 14:07:36

Aero - didn't know you could buy that cream over the counter - FANTASTIC. DS is booked for jabs next month so will go to Boots now! Thank you!!!

QueenOfFaff Thu 21-Jul-05 15:15:12

Thanks for the great response!

Thanks, trinityrocks - I suspect my ds will similarly freak and this could be extra difficult since I think he is to have a developmental check first!

Aero - that cream does sound fantastic but I don't have enough time to get to Boots before the appointment.

After reading your experiences and on reflection, I think I'll go armed with some chocolate ( which will be just as likely to shock as the needle ) and then tell him once we are at the doctor's surgery.

Tortington Thu 21-Jul-05 18:45:27

nope. they had no idea <evil laugh haahaahhaa> then they looked at me with horror when the sharp jab happened then they smiled when they got lollipop and then they forgot and then they were ded brave and proud when daddy saw them.

whats the point of worrying them/.

jalopy Fri 22-Jul-05 11:32:00

I always tell them but moments before it is going to happen. That way I feel that I haven't conned them and it's over in a flash. A lollipop is a nice comforter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now