Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would a 3 year old sit in the cinema?

(27 Posts)
lulabelle Wed 20-Jul-05 09:18:27

My 3 year old ds wants to see Madagascar, I have never taken him to the cinema before, have any of you ever taken 3yr olds to the cinema?

spykid Wed 20-Jul-05 09:21:09

Yes, sit him on your lap, lots of popcorn and keep whispering in his ear to explain and exclaim about parts of the film

legacy Wed 20-Jul-05 09:21:29

Took DS2 who is almost 3 to see Madagascar - he was fine and thoroughly enjoyed it. Make sure you take drinks and snacks to keep them happy though.

It was also the first time he's been to the cinema too!

Twiglett Wed 20-Jul-05 09:21:38

might .. might not

stay at the back near the exit, go in before the lights go down cos it can be quite frightening walking into a dark room .. and take him to a matinee when its cheaper cos walking out after 5 mins when you've spent a fortune is a PITA

fqueenzebra Wed 20-Jul-05 09:21:46

Depends on the 3yo. Does he sit still to watch videos at home, Lulabelle?

Azure Wed 20-Jul-05 09:22:40

We've taken DS (3.10) to the cinema several times - including to Madagascar - and he loves it. He sits very still, completely transfixed looking at the screen. We tend to go to the first screening in the morning, which is normally pretty empty. It depends on your DS really - be prepared to take him out for a short walk if needed. I would definitely recommend giving it a go.

emily05 Wed 20-Jul-05 09:23:00

I was in the same situation as you. Took ds (who is almost 3) to see madagascar on Monday.

He sat through most of it. He got a bit scared by the 'baddy' characters in the film and that is when we left. But I was so pleased because he was as good as gold. Ds is quite active as well, so was relieved.

Must admit that I think half the reason that he was so good was that he had popcorn.
I also timed it so we missed the trailors and had various snack bits in case as a distraction (although the popcorn kept him happy enough!)

Film is really good. Go for it and if it is a nightmare you can always leave.

TwinSetAndPearls Wed 20-Jul-05 10:25:28

We regularly take ours to the cinema and she loves it, usually too captivated to move.

Furball Wed 20-Jul-05 10:28:15

Took DS to see Robots when he was about 3 1/2 and he was fine. Get popcorn and a drink and sit him on your lap. Another top tip is don't go when they say the film starts, leave it a good 20-25 minutes after, that way you miss all those silly ads.

MascaraOHara Wed 20-Jul-05 10:32:39

I took mine last saturday for the first time.

She sat until about 5mins before the end of Robots (would have sat all through but the film started 30mins late!)

They do booster seats so she had her own chair - we shared a bag of popcorn and for the first 45mins she was transfixed. I wish it had been a film a bit better suited e.g. Tigger, Winnie the Pooh or something like that..

Enjoy!

northerner Wed 20-Jul-05 10:34:55

I took ds last Saturday to see this and only saw half of the film. He is 3.3 and just got bored, wanted a trip to the toilet every 5 minutes, was off his seat, on his seat, I knew it was time to go when he kept whispering (and my ds can not whisper quitely) MUMMY LETS GO

lulabelle Wed 20-Jul-05 13:53:21

Thanks for all your responses...

fqueenzebra - yess, he is very active but will sit through the 3 dvd box set of lion king! He likes the lion/tiger? from this film.

I think I will give it go - otherwise I will never know!! I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again
xXx

lulabelle Thu 21-Jul-05 14:07:07

Well, I braved it and took him, he loved it until alex the lion announed he wanted to 'go home' ds then annouced 'yes, actually so do I!' he got a laugh and I persuaded him that the film was almost over, he sat through the rest but asked every now and then 'if it was nearly finished'. Today he has asked if we can go again tonight!!

aloha Thu 21-Jul-05 14:08:20

Mine wouldn't, others do!

moondog Thu 21-Jul-05 14:11:19

Reckon so.
(We used to take dd from the week that she was born,until a jobsworth told us that as one film we went to see was a 15 (or whatever they call it these days) and therefore at the age of about 7 weeks,she was too young.

Que????

moondog Thu 21-Jul-05 14:12:10

Sorry,dubious syntax there.

MarsLady Thu 21-Jul-05 14:13:13

I used to sit DD2 with a box of popcorn. It would last the whole film.

Did you know that if they sit on your lap then they get in free? They do in our cinema. Only for wee ones, but we managed up until about age 3. How tight am I? lol

Kayleigh Thu 21-Jul-05 14:17:54

Ds2 was just 3 when he went to the cinema for the first time to see shrek 2. He was an angel. he did eat his way through his own weight in sweets though

moondog Thu 21-Jul-05 14:21:35

I am of the school of thought that a treat is a treat in its own right,thus do not provide drinks and snacks. The excitement of the cinema is what we are savouring. Similarly,can't understand people who fill their cars with activities and (Heaven forbid) dvd players. The little blighters should be enjoying the view and making up their own fun.

Something about 'rods' and 'one's own back' springs to mind.

spidermama Thu 21-Jul-05 14:23:19

My three year old sits spellbound, almost in a worrying way. He's less fidgetty than his older bro and sis.

You can always sit by the aisle and be prepared to take him out if he gets fed up.

lulabelle Thu 21-Jul-05 16:20:26

I disagree about the dvd players in cars - mine is heaven sent if I'm trying to keep him awake in the car!

MarsLady Thu 21-Jul-05 16:29:11

Now Moondog. When DD2 was 3 I had two older children to take to the cinema. So the popcorn was to keep her still and quiet so that the others could enjoy the film.

Also, for us going to the cinema is not complete without popcorn.

Finally......

zaphod Thu 21-Jul-05 16:34:33

Depends on the 3 year old. My ds1 and dd were great for sitting through movies (although dd always wanted the loo 2 or 3 times). We have brought ds3 who is 3 twice, both times after 20 minutes he was bored and wanted to go.

spidermama Thu 21-Jul-05 16:40:19

I didn't even know it was possible to have a dvd player in your car. Don't they get car sick? Would I sound like an old biddy if I said, 'Whatever happened to Eye Spy'?

lulabelle Fri 22-Jul-05 15:08:26

Spidermama - my DS doesn't get car sick, I have a daily battle of trying to keep him awake when I finish work and collect him from nursery (he has always dozed off in the car from a baby). Even though its only a 15 min journey, that 15 mins can keep him going until midnight if I let him sleep! Its good for long journeys too, we don't always turn it on but if he starts getting fidgety and bored it comes in very handy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now