Talk

Advanced search

Those of you who had 'screamers' at Nursery, did they keep it up when they went to school?

(13 Posts)
handlemecarefully Tue 19-Jul-05 15:04:42

Just curious really since my dd has been attending Day Nursery for 3 days per week since she was 6 months old. She has just turned 3 and still cries and wails when I leave her (it is more for dramatic effect I think than genuine sentiment).

Will she still be doing this when in reception class I wonder?

handlemecarefully Tue 19-Jul-05 15:40:08

Ok - so not one of my most interesting threads!

sunchowder Tue 19-Jul-05 15:43:15

HMC, sorry no advice here! My DD never screamed, I didn't take her until she could speak fluently and I told her 5,000 times I was coming to pick her up--stayed for the first hour during her first week, etc. She never had a problem separating from me (dying to leave me she is!)

jenkel Tue 19-Jul-05 15:44:14

No answer as my dd is just coming up to 3 and is excactly the same. Exhausting isnt it..... Hope somebody responds and says that they grow out of it, cant imagine going through goodness knows how many years like this.

As soon as I go out the door she stops and otherwise seems to love nursery. She was fine when she started, its just been the last few months.

dinosaur Tue 19-Jul-05 15:53:07

HMC DS2 was a right little drama queen this time last year, when he was approaching his third birthday. But he stopped being such a grumpy drawers some time last autumn and now he skips into nursery as happy as larry.

So in answer to your question, no I doubt it!

handlemecarefully Tue 19-Jul-05 16:01:11

That's good to know....

dinosaur Tue 19-Jul-05 16:03:00

He's starting full-time school nuresry in September, so I hope that's going to go okay!

rickman Tue 19-Jul-05 16:09:30

Message withdrawn

SoftFroggie Tue 19-Jul-05 16:13:04

libby purves in nature's masterpiece writes that her son cried everytime she dropped him off at school. everntually she said "don't cry, the other children don't like it" and he stopped. apparently.

RTKangaMummy Tue 19-Jul-05 16:53:11

DS cried at play school and had to be peeled off me

When he went to school -- Nursery class he cried and had to be peeled off

And the after a while he stopped and would go in happily

He is now 10 and goes very happily -- but seriously he has been happy ever since first few weeks or months at nursery class

I think it is a stage some of them go through

He would stop soon after I had left him

I have had childminded children here who have been coming since tiny babies and when they get to 3 years old start to cry when they are left and as soon as mummy is in the car park they stop.

handlemecarefully Wed 20-Jul-05 09:50:26

Umm - as long as she has knocked it on the head by 6th form I guess!

fqueenzebra Wed 20-Jul-05 10:03:32

DS1 hated nursery, left him crying for 2 years, but was happy at playgroup. When he was 3.5yo, I gave up on nursery, instead sent him to childminder (never cried when he was left with her). Ran into school without looking back at age almost 5 -- I was so smug I didn't have to take into the classroom (unlike most of the children starting school).

Have had to coax dd into attending preschool & staying with childminder. About preschool she always says she doens't want to go but have usually managed to leave her peacefully (I would not leave her crying, I would take her home instead, I can't see the point in forcing it until she goes to school). I would have to force it in a nursery situation, though, I'm sure. I think that she'll be nervous but ok about going to school (autumn 2006).

mandymoo Thu 21-Jul-05 20:03:02

hmc - dd is 2.8 and been going to nursery for well over a year now and cries/whinges most times that i leave her. NUrsery workers say she stops as soon as i leave and that she probably does it just to try it on with me (guilt city here i come!!). She is perfectly happy when i pick her up and she always talks positively about nursery. JUst makes me feel like poo leaving her there when she cries. No real advice i'm afraid but you are defo not alone XX

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now