Talk

Advanced search

Dangerous plug-in socket covers

(11 Posts)
CarolinesDad Mon 08-Mar-10 20:43:12

There have been earlier posts on this forum regarding the dangers of socket covers. The problem was originally highlighted by the FatallyFlawed campaign (a group of professional engineers, doctors and child-care professionals).

Are you aware that subsequent to that Which? did a partial test of socket covers and also found some problems?

As a result of the original study Ofsted has ceased to demand the use of socket covers, but so far the Government has done nothing to either ban their sale or introduce regulations to ensure that they are safe.

TurtleAnn Mon 08-Mar-10 21:18:22

Thanks, glad mine are the John Lewis brand that scored well in the Which Test.

rosieposey Mon 08-Mar-10 21:40:31

I had some under my sink ready to put in shortly (my ds is 13 months) but will not be using any at all after seeing that video. Thank you

CarolinesDad Tue 09-Mar-10 13:40:50

Hi TurtleAnn,

The Which? test was done without consulting FatallyFlawed, so they failed to realise the importance of trying covers in a wide variety of sockets, there have been hundreds of designs since 1947. the problem is that all plugs have exactly the same pin dimensions, but NO socket covers have the correct dimensions! As sockets are designed to work with real plugs, and not socket covers, there is no way to predict how well they will hold something with the wrong dimensions. We have seen the type of socket cover you have being very secure in some sockets, and very very easy to remove from others. Take a look at this fact sheet to see more about that issue.

There are actually several other problems with the covers you have, it is just about the worst design we have seen. Take a look at www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/html/photo_gallery.html

Best wishes,
David

MiladyDeWinter Tue 09-Mar-10 15:11:23

I tried putting my socket cover in upside down and was shock at how easy it was and to see the protective things open.

Doubly aghast at the fact that the Government hasn't banned or restricted sales.

rosieposey Tue 09-Mar-10 15:57:15

I had no idea it was that easy either milady and just wouldnt have considered it, am so glad i watched that last night.

onadietcokebreak Tue 09-Mar-10 16:01:06

Saw this a while ago and removed every plug socket cover in my house.

Bramshott Tue 09-Mar-10 16:15:22

This is very interesting. I wonder why Ofsted still insists that Childminders use socket covers?

rosieposey Tue 09-Mar-10 16:36:58

Bramshott get in touch with them as i understood that the op said that Ofstead arent demanding the use of them anymore - might be worth getting them to clarify their postition?

hanaflower Tue 09-Mar-10 17:52:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FatallyFlawed Sat 02-Jul-16 20:48:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now