Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

would you say something if you saw a baby without a hat in this weather in the park?

(212 Posts)
Turtle35 Thu 14-Jul-05 20:59:38

not sure if it was the baby's mother maybe it was a nanny but the baby was crawling in the park without clothes on and NO hat it was probably 30 degrees today in London, I was so cross I left. Should I have said something? I know it's none of my business but...

Nbg Thu 14-Jul-05 21:01:02

I wouldn't, probably because I know that my dd throws hers off the second I put it on.

shalaa Thu 14-Jul-05 21:02:51

yeah can't comment without knowing the full story. Personally DS had sun block, hat and shorts on before he goes in the sun.

nailpolish Thu 14-Jul-05 21:03:15

im sure she would have had suncream on, and as for the hat, maybe a hat was put on the baby but if that baby is anything like mine it would have been yanked off immediately.

i wouldnt have said anything, no

basketcase Thu 14-Jul-05 21:03:20

Maybe the baby wouldn’t keep his/her hat on? Maybe the baby was lathered in high protection sun cream?
While I understand your concern and dislike seeing children obviously unprotected in the sun, think that leaving a park because of this seems a little extreme. My children will happily wear their hats some days, others it is very very hard to keep them on their heads - and their clothes if they are given half a chance! I even buy the hats with the neck flaps and strings to "tie" the babys one on and still it comes off - I do keep putting them back on but it is hard work at times. Be careful not to be too quick to judge others unless you have all the facts..

jamtit Thu 14-Jul-05 21:03:42

no!

and would be furious if anyone said anything to me.

It is none of your business.

morningpaper Thu 14-Jul-05 21:03:43

Some babies are hat-throwers.

fastasleep Thu 14-Jul-05 21:04:01

I wouldn't say anything, but oooh I always want to soo much... watching the kids with nothing on going redder and redder just makes me sad.

GetMakosiorVanessaorOrlaithOut Thu 14-Jul-05 21:04:39

no

nailpolish Thu 14-Jul-05 21:04:43

cannot believe you left the park because of this!

shalaa Thu 14-Jul-05 21:07:37

Know how you feel though Turtle, even though you don't know the full story you do tend to imagine the worse.

Rather you got up and left then stay and get upset and more angry.

Turtle35 Thu 14-Jul-05 21:10:25

I left out some vital information, she was suntanning with her girlfriend and had a rather nasty dog running around trying to bite people, they were near a tree but it wasn't shading the baby, she was drinking beer and seemed rather unconcerned, I guess what I am getting at is because I am a mother now it really pisses me off when I see people neglecting their children, she really didnt look the type to be putting sun screen on. Clearly I didn't say anything but I didn't want to sit there any longer and watch this poor baby sit in the sun crying....

nailpolish Thu 14-Jul-05 21:11:33

its different if the baby was crying...

morningpaper Thu 14-Jul-05 21:11:56

She might not have been neglecting her. Drinking beer in the park with a friend while the baby crawls around sounds bloody marvellous to me.

twirlaround Thu 14-Jul-05 21:11:57

sorry, agree with Jamtit

WigWamBam Thu 14-Jul-05 21:12:35

Sorry, but it's still none of your business.

QueenEagle Thu 14-Jul-05 21:13:05

Drinking beer and sunning oneself in the park? - what a great idea!!!

Niddlynono Thu 14-Jul-05 21:13:26

You're always going to see things like this (or children not wearing seatbelts in cars, which is my pet hate) I wouldn't have said anything though because like others have mentioned you don't know the full story.
I can still picture the look of disgust one woman gave me upon seeing DS with no shoes and socks on in the middle of winter because he'd taken them off and thrown them in a puddle. None of her bloody business, I remember thinking.

Turtle35 Thu 14-Jul-05 21:14:00

I was sunning myself but my baby was in the shade because she wont keep a hat on!!

Turtle35 Thu 14-Jul-05 21:14:53

I am sure had I said something she would of punched me in the face, she looked the type.

nailpolish Thu 14-Jul-05 21:15:08

is she crawling yet turtle? if so good on her for staying in the shade

Turtle35 Thu 14-Jul-05 21:15:58

no she isn't crawling yet luckily

morningpaper Thu 14-Jul-05 21:16:08

Turtle she's probably the local NCT Chairperson...

Turtle35 Thu 14-Jul-05 21:17:08

Probably!! very funny

nailpolish Thu 14-Jul-05 21:17:16

mornpaper you are a scream!

turtle, make the most of a stationary baby while it lasts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now