Talk

Advanced search

do you apologise to your children?

(30 Posts)
alhambra Wed 13-Jul-05 12:53:21

Do you apologise to your children when you lose your rag? Or do you not lose your rag?! (please tell me how, o virtuous mumsnetters, if that's the case). I feel I've got into a pattern recently of losing rag and then apologising. I don't like it, but I think it is right to apologise. My parents never apologised to me for anything they said or did, and I often wished they had.

beetroot Wed 13-Jul-05 12:54:05

Message withdrawn

NomDePlume Wed 13-Jul-05 12:56:09

Same as Beety

Slink Wed 13-Jul-05 12:56:41

I apologise as i think it is good for my dd to know i do make mistakes too.

ninah Wed 13-Jul-05 12:56:49

apologise if I'm in the wrong of course
normal courtesy, expect him to do the same (well mostly, he's only 2.10)

shrub Wed 13-Jul-05 13:00:19

yes i think its a good way to learn to take responsibility for our behaviour - its the only way for them to learn to do the same. i usually give a reason aswell, most of the time its 'sorry mummy is grumpy as i didn't get much sleep last night and i'm really tired'!

tarantula Wed 13-Jul-05 13:03:36

Yes I do and I see no problem with it either. We are human and our kids need to know we have bad days too. However I do let them know Im apologising because I went OTT and am NOT excusing whatever behaviour it was that caused the reaction IYSWIM.

KBear Wed 13-Jul-05 13:04:58

yes I do if I think it's me being a moody cow rather than them being naughty. I often explain to my DD (6) that mummy is ratty today because I'm tired, or had a bad day at work and something happened or whatever. I think it's a good thing rather than just ranting wildly and them thinking that's all you ever do.

KBear Wed 13-Jul-05 13:05:27

and.... DD often apologises to me for her moodiness so it obviously works!

QueenEagle Wed 13-Jul-05 13:06:53

Yes, if I have been short with them and got very irritable. Doesn't happen that often but when it does I think it's the right thing to apologise.

spacedonkey Wed 13-Jul-05 13:07:13

Yes

Hausfrau Wed 13-Jul-05 13:09:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Raspberry Wed 13-Jul-05 13:09:11

Yes, another apologiser here. Practice what you preach in my book.

Marina Wed 13-Jul-05 13:09:49

My parents were of the never apologise, never explain "old school" too alhambra and despite the fact they were and are great in so many other ways, I have found that hard to deal with.
I do lose my temper with ds and dd and do apologise when I am in the wrong. And then we have a quick chat about why I got cross and how I ought to have handled it. If ds gets cross the same applies to him and will do in due course with dd, but she tends to explain with her teeth and fists being less than 2...

aloha Wed 13-Jul-05 13:11:32

Yes, I do apologise if I think I am in the wrong and I do it quite often. This morning I snapped at poor ds and he was upset, so I said sorry and explained I hadn't had any breakfast yet and was hungry - so we went out an ate croissants.

batters Wed 13-Jul-05 13:13:29

god yes I apologise when I have been unreasonable to dd.

I always try and explain why I been short tempered (ie if I am sad about something).

milge Wed 13-Jul-05 13:30:20

I apologise if i am in the wrong and try to explain to the dt's what happened. Being polite isn't restricted to the younger generation, imho.

WigWamBam Wed 13-Jul-05 13:37:04

Yes, I apologise and try to explain if I'm in the wrong or if I lose my rag unjustifiably. I think it's important for my dd to realise that even adults make mistakes sometimes, and that she realises that we need to be polite and kind to our families as well as to other people.

Angeliz Wed 13-Jul-05 13:39:12

As the others have said, if i'm in the wrong i apologise.

logic Wed 13-Jul-05 13:40:51

Yes, I apologise to ds when I've shouted at him for something trivial when I'm tired. He's short, not stupid!

marialuisa Wed 13-Jul-05 14:35:16

Yes, i apologise and give a reason. DD will also pre-empt me sometimes by saying "You're being a grumpy mummy. Do you need to lie down on the sofa?"

PiccadillyCircus Wed 13-Jul-05 14:38:48

I apolgise to DS when I have done something wrong. He might be only 19 months but he is still a person.

Caligula Wed 13-Jul-05 14:42:11

Yes. Always careful to apologise for my reaction, without excusing their behaviour. My parents never apologised for anything when they were wrong, and tbh I lost respect for them because of it.

Listmaker Wed 13-Jul-05 14:44:30

Yes me too - I apologise when I lose it BIG time and I know I'm being OTT. As others have said only for my reaction to it - not letting them off for what they've done!

saadia Wed 13-Jul-05 15:07:08

Yes, dh and I both apologise if we lose our tempers and now ds does too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now