Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

15 month old escaping from 3 point safety belt in 2nd stage car seat

(15 Posts)
handlemecarefully Tue 12-Jul-05 12:52:47

No matter how tightly I adjust the belt, he manages to wriggle his shoulders free so that the 3 point belt remains fastened at the waist, but his upper body is not restrained.

I'm concerned about the lack of protection it will offer in an accident.

Any suggestions?

Pixiefish Tue 12-Jul-05 12:54:37

dd has started doing this and i've decided to get some sort of strap to clip across the chest from one strap to the other- no idea how safe it would be though

handlemecarefully Tue 12-Jul-05 12:55:26

Well i was wondering about a home made solution of tying the shoulder straps together with a piece of rag or something....

Pixiefish Tue 12-Jul-05 12:56:18

i'd prefer some sort of clip. you needto be able to get him out quick in the event of an accident

Donbean Tue 12-Jul-05 12:56:52

nightmare, mine does the same. In actual fact he can escape from any harness (pram, high chair,shopping trolley)
i will be watching with interest.
I have been pulling over and strapping him back in with harsh words added.

purpleturtle Tue 12-Jul-05 12:57:21

There was a thread o this recently with some kind of device specifically for this problem. Can't remember what it was called though. Sorry.

We recently hired car seats in America, and both had a little plastic piece fixed to one strap, which you then wiggled the second shoulder strap through, and that seemed to do the trick.

purpleturtle Tue 12-Jul-05 13:01:16

Found it: it's called a snugsit. See thread here though, before you decide whether it's worth it!

handlemecarefully Tue 12-Jul-05 13:19:44

Excellent thanks Purpleturtle. From scanning the thread it was an older child (2yrs) who managed to open the snugsit so it should be okay for my ds who wouldn't have the finger dexterity and problem solving skills (hopefully) to get out of this!

I shall order one!

handlemecarefully Tue 12-Jul-05 13:22:07

Horror! I've just tried to order one through GLT company and got a message saying that this product has sold out and won't be available again!!!

Will try to source it elsewhere

basketcase Tue 12-Jul-05 13:22:55

thanks purpleturtle. Missed the last thread and only just seen this one. My DD2 takes her arms outeverytime regardless of how tight we pull it. Will order one of these right now. You should be on commission

basketcase Tue 12-Jul-05 13:23:57

AAAAAAGH - just read hmc’s last post. OH NO!!!! Just as I had the page open and ready to go get my purse for my card no.
If anyone knows where they can be ordered please let us know. Will search as well.

fishfinger Tue 12-Jul-05 13:25:56

I stop the car at this point hmc and tell him to do it
ans wait and wait

basketcase Tue 12-Jul-05 13:28:26

found this update to the snugsit www.travelling withchildren.co.uk
hope this works

basketcase Tue 12-Jul-05 13:31:45

aagh - copy and pasted the link page but obviously not accessible - try their site and searching in their go shopping and then the travel in the car, special needs children bit and you will find the "hug it" device for a tenner and p+p (site is dreadful in my browser but at least it as a decent product)

handlemecarefully Tue 12-Jul-05 14:00:01

Well done for tracking this down basketcase

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now