Talk

Advanced search

Silly woman on the bus - she really made me angry!

(68 Posts)
AnnaInManchester Sat 09-Jul-05 20:31:38

I was on the bus today and this woman got on with her 2 children, a girl aged about 6 called Tegan and a girl aged about 9 called Emily. I know they were called this as the mother called both children by the names and they called the woman mum.

Tegan was chatting away and her mum was laughing along with her, but whenever Emily started to talk both the mother and her sister, Tegan told her to be quiet and Tegan was also telling her sister very nastily to 'shut up' and acting very precotious and obnoxious, yet the mother never told Tegan off for being so nasty to her older sister.

Emily's eyes were so full of upset and every time she got humiliated by her sister or told to be quiet by her mum, or even when her mum was laughing and joking along with Tegan, her little face looked so blue, longing for the attention her sister got. It was obvious the other sister was by far the mothers favourite and I just wanted to tell the mother exactly what I thought of her parenting, and take her lovely daughter home with me.

QZebra Sat 09-Jul-05 20:42:47

you only saw a snapshot, maybe Emily was being punished for being horrid to Tegan earlier.

AnnaInManchester Sat 09-Jul-05 20:49:33

Maybe, but she looked so sad. She had so much hurt in her eyes.

AnnaInManchester Sat 09-Jul-05 20:50:02

and would you really stay mad with a child for an hour and half, because I wouldnt!

QZebra Sat 09-Jul-05 21:08:53

mmmmm... 1.5 hrs does sound a long time, and don't think Tegan should have spoken to Emily as she did, regardless.

Very sad, when you witness people damaging their kids, isn't it?

expatinscotland Sat 09-Jul-05 21:13:37

Aw. That breaks my heart. I saw this woman berating her daughter, who looked about 3, for getting tired on a trip up the town. No buggy in site. Kids have short legs! They get tired! The wee girl didn't answer her, she just looked so hurt. And the woman's partner said nothing to her!

Well I told her off. Told her about my miscarriage and how I lost my little baby - this was before I had DD - and how I could only wish to have such a sweet little girl to hold when she was tired, so try to have some self-control The lady actually apologised!

Now I have a sweet little girl whose skinny legs get tired, and I always bring her buggy along. Although she does get time outs for throwing food and pinching - or 'nipping' as Scots hubby calls it.

sweetkitty Sat 09-Jul-05 21:14:23

watched a Dad call his little boy a little f*** the other day them smack him across the head

Maddison Sat 09-Jul-05 22:14:53

This is so sad - does the mother not realise what a precious gift a child is???

Another thing that really p**sed me off once was when I worked in an office in town, it was November time so really quite cold, a woman who was nicely wrapped up was pushing a little girl of about 2 past the office in her pushchair with no socks, shoes or blanket on. Got really mad about it but couldn't do anything with being at work

saadia Sat 09-Jul-05 22:31:27

These stories remind me of one of the most horrendous things I've ever witnessed.

Years ago, when I was a student I was on the tube and a couple got on with three children.
One was in a baby in a buggy wearing nothing but a towel, the other two, a boy and a girl were about 5 or 6 years old and both sat very quietly next to each other while the couple, who looked like druggies were, for want of a better word, really going at it. The man looked dangerous to me and every now and then shouted at the children.

I changed carriages because it was such an awful scene but to this day I regret that I didn't do something like call the police. I just can't forget the image of those poor unfortunate children and what their childhood must have been like.

FlounceyFlossam Sat 09-Jul-05 22:34:47

my mum saw a woman hit and kick her daughter in M and S for wetting her knickers. She was 7.

BadHair Sat 09-Jul-05 23:13:15

Maddison - my ds1 used to remove his hat, coat, socks, shoes and covers even on the coldest of days. He would be half-naked in January! He would have been about 18 months to 2.5 at the time.
At first I used to keep stopping and putting everything back on, bit by bit, but after a while I used to le thim get on with it. I used to feel terrible as I was obviously shrouded in my winter coat and he was half naked and still cheerfully shedding clothing, but I eventually solved it by getting a gigantic all-in-one suit for him.
Just to say that in this one case the mother might well have had a constant running battle with a naturist in the making!

Janh Sat 09-Jul-05 23:17:52

Yesterday I saw a couple out with 2 children, a little girl walking and a smaller one in buggy. It was really hot, the woman was wearing a vest top, the little girl had a cardigan on top of whatever was underneath and the mother was shouting at her to put her coat on because it was cold!!!

JulieF Sat 09-Jul-05 23:19:16

Lol Maddison, that could have been us. I remember a shopping trip on a freezing cold day in December, dd was about 2 and flatly REFUSED to put her coat on. She threw an almighty tantrum every time I tried. She was never very good at keeping socks and shoes on either!

MarsLady Sat 09-Jul-05 23:20:34

My DDs still prefer to wear next to nothing in the winter, but strangely seem to wrap up really well in the summer. Doh!

Nbg Sat 09-Jul-05 23:28:24

When I was at the health clinic the other day there was a lady there with 3 children, all boys, aged about 18 months, 5 and maybe 6/7 they were all kicking and hitting each other followed by swearing. The mum went up to them after about 15 mins of them assaulting each other and gave them all a massive smack.

I was very

Satine Sat 09-Jul-05 23:54:06

Mind you the other day my ds (2.10) had a full blown tantrum at having to leave ELC and would not stand up or walk. Eventually I told him that if he didn't walk I'd have to drag him out of the shop. So I did (as gently as I could!!) whilst trying to push dd in buggy with other hand. A teenage girl started shouting "No wonder he's crying if you're dragging him like that!" (expletives removed) and if I'd had the time I'd have loved to have said to her "When you have two toddlers and they're having a bad day and you're on your own, I want you to remember this". Silly cow.

hercules Sat 09-Jul-05 23:55:07

ahhhh, so young and naive. Her words will come back to haunt her

MarsLady Sat 09-Jul-05 23:56:58

reminds me of a film quote or misquote...........

She is young.... she will learn

HappyMumof2 Sun 10-Jul-05 09:09:36

Message withdrawn

AnnaInManchester Sun 10-Jul-05 12:18:02

I did think very carefully before posting, but it was quite obvious this poor little girl felt really undermined and what sort of mother must she be to let her other daughter pick on her and be so nasty, and not have a go at the other daughter, but tell her poor other one to shut up everytime she so much as opened her mouth just to say 'remember the time when we went to that ladies house and had them ice lollies mummy'? Thats all the girl said and her mother bit her head off! I hope she does come on here, and if she does YOU MUST BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF NASTY LADY!!!

giraffeski Sun 10-Jul-05 12:38:20

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Sun 10-Jul-05 13:07:30

My daughter is AWFUL about wearing a hood or hat and gloves. We've lost so many, and now she throws a major tantrum if we try to put them on her. She has the kind that clip onto her snowsuit, but she still yanks them off. She once pulled of her boot AND sock in town centre in February in Edinburgh and threw them away on the street. I looked down and there was her bare, red raw foot, and her cheesing away. I had to go into shop and buy her another pair .

misdee Sun 10-Jul-05 13:10:33

my dd2 was a sicky child. quite often during a day out she would vomit all over herself and buggy. i'd have to strip off all the vomit soaked clothes and wrap her up in a blanket. couldnt leave her in the clothes as she'd scream blue murder.

Hulababy Sun 10-Jul-05 13:19:30

We have had some interefing old woman come up to us - when DD was about 20 months maybe -in a supermarket car park. DD and I were walking from car to supermarket. It was Autumn time and pretty cold - not freezing but chilly. I had a jacket on. DD was in trousers and T shirt. She had refused to put her jacket on full stop and I was not on for a battle over it. DD doesn't get affected by weather much. Cold and heat don't bother her at all (unless extremes)- she is very much like my dad. Also it was going to take me less than 3 minutes to walk to supermarket door.

Old lady came over to tell me that my child should have a coat on and she would be ill if not. Wasn't sure what to say - she just ranted whilst i stood there somewhat taken back. In the end, I just said excuse me, I need to get on and left.

Was annoyed at her unnecessary intereference, especially as she had no idea about the circumstances behind it.

shalaa Sun 10-Jul-05 13:35:06

Today which is roasting hot, saw a young girl pushing a newborn baby in a light pushchair, so the baby was slumped to the side, baby had vest/dress/coat/hat/socks/shoes on, my DS had a vest on, he was hot in just that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now