Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What 'house rules' do you have for your 6/7 year olds ?

(8 Posts)
wavejumper Fri 08-Jul-05 21:00:47

After a particularly eventful week of exhausting and challenging boundary pushing behaviour from DD 6 and DS 7, we've agreed that house rules would be a good idea. We've discussed some ideas together tonight and tried to put them in a positive way ie be kind instead of don't be mean, speak in a normal voice if you want to be listened to instead of don't shout and scream. The main issue at the moment is respect for each other. What house rules have worked for you ? We already use the pasta jar which works really well - the house rules will give a focus for the rewards and hopefully stop a repeat of what has truly been a horrible week. Thanks in advance for your wisdom

nell12 Fri 08-Jul-05 21:20:18

treat each other as you would like to be treated

simple, but covers most things

kama Fri 08-Jul-05 21:42:36

Message withdrawn

hunkermunker Fri 08-Jul-05 21:45:50

Can you ask them what they think the rules should be? When they're in a sensible mood...

Children are often a lot harsher on themselves than you would be!

wavejumper Fri 08-Jul-05 22:52:12

Thanks for your ideas I think we'll sit down and make a list of rules tomorrow and then each sign a copy to show we agree to follow them ! Hopefully the issues of this week will be not such a big deal at the end of next week. I probably need to add to the list some extra rules for me to follow, like earlier bedtimes and allowing more time for getting out of the house in the mornings so that we all feel less hassled. I know it's those kind of things that can make a huge difference to how everyone feels at the start of the day - somehow it seems easier to talk about it than actually do it !

unicorn Sat 09-Jul-05 00:23:31

plse let me know what you all agree on, and how it's working Wavejumper.
I am very interested as I have a very diffident 6 yr old dd, and 3yr old ds, who is following n her footsteps.

I find that without rules, regulations they are really quite wild.
It has taken me some time, but I reckon one of my jobs is to 'civilise' them!!!

Any help/advice appreciated!!!

haven Sat 09-Jul-05 01:52:07

GREAT QUESTION!!!

dd really doesn't have "rules"..she just knows what is expected. we all just help each other. like nell12 said..we strive to treat each other morally. really. if you see someone doing work, don't just sit there, if you see someone is tired tell them to sit and you do it for a while. love each other, and family comes first.

i have to take back what i said. that is the only rule that i STICK to. your family comes first, no matter what. Everything else follows. and when i mean nomatter what, that means just that. come Hell or High water.

dd is supposed to clean her room, and bathroom, but really that very seldom is done..

mumbee Tue 26-Jul-05 09:43:37

Was intrigue by this thread. Have two DD 6 in Aug, DS 4.5 Ask her what the rules of the house are? answer 'Don't know' asked her what the rules should be? answer 'dont know"

The one thing that I always try to remeber is to reward good behavour. Yesterday fell a sleep on the sofa morning nap the kids where really quiet and did not disturb me at all- postman woke me up an 1.5hrs later. so something is working.
the reward is a trip to the library and muesum this afternoon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now