Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Worst toddler group!!

(20 Posts)
monkeytrousers Wed 06-Jul-05 15:21:50

Went along to our local TG today and at the risk of sounding like a snob found a right motley crew! One inquisitive child was told he sounded like the 'pollis' and that he shouldn't ask so many questions while another obviously upset child was ignored by his carer (his mum wasn't there as she'd apparently broken up with her boyfriend)- it was obviously affecting the little boy but he was just studiously ignored. I had to leave or I was going to start myself!

The last one I want to I found myself in an estate where every 2 houses out of 3 were burnt out and boarded up. Looks like I'm destined to a lonely toddler hood!

I mean, I just couldn't imagine getting my decaf teabags out at either of these two places...

saadia Wed 06-Jul-05 16:03:18

mt, I know the feeling. One of the groups I went to had two distinct racial groups (neither of which I fitted in) and there was no mingling between groups. It was also a slightly rough area. But the lady who ran it was lovely and she always used to see me by myself and come over for a chat.

monkeytrousers Wed 06-Jul-05 16:08:46

It's all a bit sad, isn't it? <wanders off to the park in the rain...>

spidermama Wed 06-Jul-05 16:11:50

My sister's in same boat as you Monkey. She's ostracized for being posh and up her ain erse because she's once tasted an avacado.

Flamesparrow Wed 06-Jul-05 16:17:10

Thank god for that - I thought I was the only one who came away from toddlers feeling like a snob!!!

I've now given up with the one attached to the school... DD can make friends when she starts nursery and I don't have to be there!!!

handlemecarefully Wed 06-Jul-05 16:18:48

Poor little mite.

Can you travel further afield for your toddler group?

As I live a bit out of town I'm accustomed to travelling up to 15 miles (half an hour or so) to go to various things. It does give you more options if you are not just looking very locally.

handlemecarefully Wed 06-Jul-05 16:20:22

It must be dependent upon the area - my nearest toddler group is about 5 miles away in leafy middle class area and everyone sounds like mumsnetters [wink}

handlemecarefully Wed 06-Jul-05 16:20:41

or

Flamesparrow Wed 06-Jul-05 16:20:44

I got to another one, but they are all quite religious (the toddler lunch icebreaker was how you chose the name... most of them wanted "good biblical names" - being a pagan, I felt slightly like I was gonna be stoned...)

Maybe I need another scout around.

The best so far is a home ed outing we do each Wednesday - I don't home ed, but crash the group - now there we seem to fit in!

Caligula Wed 06-Jul-05 16:26:12

PMSL at avocado eating.

monkeytrousers Wed 06-Jul-05 16:49:06

Yeah, I could just go to Jesmond and pretend I'm a local. They're V posh! I'd have to park a few streets away or my number'd be up. Ilike the idea of going undercover.

monkeytrousers Wed 06-Jul-05 16:55:07

My baby's got a bonk on! Hahaha!!

Nemo1977 Wed 06-Jul-05 17:00:31

as others have said MT if u can travel its great..my locla TG are horrendous but i drive to one on a fri which is fab..takes about a 15min drive but is well worth it.

spidermama Wed 06-Jul-05 17:07:46

Oooooh! Flame. I'm considering crashing home ed' events myself. I'm a stone's throw away from joining a group like that.
My husband is mucher straighter than me though and steers me away from minority lifestyle choices. I've had many near misses.

fruitful Wed 06-Jul-05 17:14:11

Hee-hee Flame. When I was pg with dd, someone asked what we were going to call him/her, and I was fed up with being asked. So I said we wanted a good Biblical name and had chosen Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz. Which incididentally means "speed the spoil and hasten the booty" and I think is a bee-yoot-iful name for a child. DD was known as Hash for the rest of the pg.

I always end up feeling common (is that the opposite of 'snob'?) at toddler groups. Daren't mention that I buy Tesco Value carrots rather than getting a box of organic veg delivered.

Flamesparrow Wed 06-Jul-05 17:22:53

I'm common at the churchy one.

I got annoyed too when pregnant and told everyone she was being called Fang - oriental I think... I was doing data entry at the time, and we had a few Fangs with accounts.

By the end, people weren't sure if I was serious or not!!!

Spider - I went to the home ed group to meet up with an online friend the first time, and have kinda ket going since

spidermama Wed 06-Jul-05 17:25:04

I've been slyly keeping in touch with local home edders online, but dh would break into a sweat if he found out. He had to pull me out of tree camps and comb out my dreads in our student years.

tarantula Wed 06-Jul-05 17:32:15

lol SM My dp refuses point blank to go to Toddler groups with dd. Cant say I blame him mind not sure Id manage it either

Flamesparrow Wed 06-Jul-05 17:35:24

lol! Its not home edders you're meeting its "a group of people I met online"

monkeytrousers Wed 06-Jul-05 18:30:48

oh-oh, here I go again missing something. Forgive me girls but whats a home edder? Oh hang..on home education..er? Eh??

Y'see though? I need to get out more!

Sorry about that other post BTW but it was hilarious. DS just discovered his little tiddler and couldn't stop playing with it. I got it on home video. That'll be one to play when the girlfriend comes round!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: