Talk

Advanced search

is smacking illegal?

(5 Posts)
fairycakes Tue 05-Jul-05 20:54:11

dont want to start a debate about pros and cons of smacking etc, its just that someone asked me today how i feel about smacking children. my dd is no where near the age where she would be smacked but as i never read news etc i started thinking im sure smacking is illegal? or is it just that they are trying to make it illegal?
and didnt someone get arrested for smacking his child in a shopping centre not so long ago?
i am confused can anyone clear up for me!! thanks

Tortington Tue 05-Jul-05 20:58:46

nope its not illegal as long as you realise the difference between a smack and beating the sh*t out of a kid - which is where someone in the shopping centre got mixed up

marne Tue 05-Jul-05 20:59:54

i think you can smack a child but not hard enough to mark them, unless they have changed it again!

fairycakes Tue 05-Jul-05 21:09:00

thanks! thats cleared things up for me! xx

nooka Tue 05-Jul-05 21:10:56

Smaking is illegal in Scotland. I think we still have "reasonable" chastisement but that may have been changed to marking them (or that may be how it's interpreted). There was a recent debate about it in Parliament.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now