Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

anyone got 2 young children & a small 2 bedroom house?

(13 Posts)
fairycakes Tue 05-Jul-05 20:28:13

hi

already have dd 10 months, am getting married in 2 years and planning to have another baby straight away, so dd would be almost 4 by time number 2 comes along (assuming i get pg straight away of course!)the plan was for us to move within the next 2 years before getting married etc as our house is very small, and i didnt think it was pracitical for a 4 year old to share with a baby.

but now i really dont think we are in a position to move within next tweo years as money is very tight.

obvioulsy the baby would be in with us for about 6 months til it needed it's pwn cot, but our bedroom would definitely not fit a cot in, so we would either have to move before baby was old enough for own room, or try to manage with them sharing a bedroom, is this really unrealistic/impractical?
has anyone else done it and how did it work for you?

thanks!!

lockets Tue 05-Jul-05 20:29:29

Message withdrawn

nutcracker Tue 05-Jul-05 20:30:21

Would a crib fit in your room for say the first 6mths ???
If it would then i think after the 6mths it would then be fine for the baby to share with your dd.

charliecat Tue 05-Jul-05 20:31:15

Yep, small 2 bed house, a 7 year old and a 4 year old who have always shared a room. Worked fine, older dd didnt wake at babys crying at all.

gigglinggoblin Tue 05-Jul-05 20:31:32

have smallish 2 bed house and 3 kids - 6, 4 and 1. 6 & 4 share. 1 shares with us. we have no room to move and i fall over things on the way to get into bed. but it is do-able

lockets Tue 05-Jul-05 20:32:12

Message withdrawn

nutcracker Tue 05-Jul-05 20:32:58

We had 3 kids in a small 2 bed flat until the youngest was 18mths and it was hard but luckily we had enough room for a cot in our room and the dd's shared a box room.

It was storage of clothes and toys that we found hard.

fairycakes Tue 05-Jul-05 20:36:32

thanks, that has eased my mind a lot - its been keeping me awake for nights! i dont want to leave any longer age gap than 4 years...

i am worried about baby waking dd up crying, also i have right carry on with dd at bedtime now and cant imagine how that would affect her if her bro/sis does same.

also (probably a really stupid question) but if i had a boy its ok for them to share for now isnt it???!!!!

nutcracker Tue 05-Jul-05 20:38:15

Yep definatly ok for them to share.

HappyMumof2 Tue 05-Jul-05 20:40:53

Message withdrawn

nooka Tue 05-Jul-05 21:04:21

Also have a two bedroom flat with two children. We had a couple of months where dh and I slept in the sitting room on a futon because we disturbed dd and she disturbed us(very early waker!) before she moved into ds's room. They have quite a big room and we have "L" shaped bunk beds which work well.

Skribble Tue 05-Jul-05 21:14:58

DD and DS shared until they were 4 and 7, ended up in a double bed in a single room with all their toys hidden when we were selling the flat. Still like to share even though they have their own rooms now I have just went up to chuck DS out of DD bed. They are very close and like each others company, maybe they are closer because they shared since small.

ssd Tue 05-Jul-05 21:36:08

We have a small 2 bed house and 2 kids 4 and 7 yrs.

TBH they didn't share well, ds1 a very light sleeper and ds2 an early waker!! Had to convert our room into 2 tiny rooms, much better. But no storage space and that's really hard to deal with.

So saying that I'd still say go for it, you can make it work. And they're not little for ever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now