Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what should i do?

(9 Posts)
pleaserewind Sun 03-Jul-05 20:54:02

ds2 (6) has never been on a school trip, mainly because he has terrible hayfever and allergies that affect his eyes (very bad reaction). Me being the ott mother that i am never feels happy about him going because if his eyes strat i want to be able to deal with it.
On 3 occasions school have phoned me to come in because of his eyes.
This year they are going the zoo. I have asked to go with and told no. I don't know whether to let him go or not.

coldtea Sun 03-Jul-05 20:57:08

Are other parents going?

coldtea Sun 03-Jul-05 20:58:28

Was thinking if he has to take medication can they admininstor it?

Aero Sun 03-Jul-05 21:00:05

Have they said why you can't go?
If you explained your concerns and the fact that they've had to call you in on more than one occasion, I'm amazed they said no. Have you asked them how they will deal with him in the case of his symptoms occuring while they're at the zoo? Maybe they're concerned that as a parent helper you need to be there for the others, not only to look after your own child, and parent helpers often are not in charge of their own children.

spidermama Sun 03-Jul-05 21:00:07

Sorry to say, I spent a miserable day at London Zoo a couple of weeks ago. My eyes were absolutely streaming because of the animals/pollen/polution - who knows. Would he be ok with anti histamines, or do you prefer to avoid drugs?

pleaserewind Sun 03-Jul-05 22:32:50

He takes piriton which i sign to say they can give him so they would have to give it to him at the zoo.
If he was going with me and dp we would have a cloth or ice pack for his eyes and make sure he didn't rub them which usually results in bad swelling right down his cheeks, which is how he was when he got sent home from school.
it doesn't help that i don't really like the idea of school trips anyway. They are taking 3 infant classes and in my paranoid mind...accidents happen.

starlover Sun 03-Jul-05 22:35:20

coiuld you not just go to the zoo yourself that day? that way you could keep an eye on him... and they can hardly say you're not allowed to be there!

pleaserewind Mon 04-Jul-05 14:49:37

if i could drive i certainly would!
Had a word with one of his teachers this morning, by the look on her face she thinks i am far too over protective and assures me they will cope hmmm
I think i will let him go but i just know i will be anxious all day.
I was never like this with ds1. but with ds2 it makes me very uncomfortable him being any distance away with or without allergies, always has.

kid Mon 04-Jul-05 14:53:43

My DD is 6 and TBH, she has never been on a trip without me!
I don't blame you for feeling this way, its ok for the school to say they will be ok but it doesn't make our worries go away.

Its easier for me to go on trips with DD as I work in her school. I have told the Head Teacher that I don't feel happy about DD going on trips without me and she couldn't understand why.

I am going to London Zoo this week with my school

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now