Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Do babies remember "no!" ...?

(11 Posts)
Slave2Babe Sat 02-Jul-05 15:01:28

... everytime dd goes towards the stairs, computer or tv i call her name, say "no!" and move her away from it.

she is only 8 months. am i just wasting my time? its as if she doesnt remember - which i fully expect is the case!

suzywong Sat 02-Jul-05 15:02:30

oh no you're not she'll remember all right

a sharp cuff on the head wil also do the trick

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sat 02-Jul-05 15:03:39

going through the same with my 11 month old. they know exactly what you're saying, just choose to ignore!!!

Frizbe Sat 02-Jul-05 15:48:33

I still find distraction is the best option....

tiffini Sat 02-Jul-05 17:03:05

Babies understand the tone of your voice more, so speak firmly and in a low voice, they will soon get it, but will continue to test your patience.

Nemo1977 Sat 02-Jul-05 17:09:20

they do understand no and the most annoying bit is to come when at around 12/13mths they will go to do something then say no shaking there heads..look to see if u r checking and then do it anyway..pmsl

Now that is a test of patience which my 20mth old has mastered

Slave2Babe Sat 02-Jul-05 17:35:31

just put our baby-dan up so she cant get to the stairs (we had a stair gate but wasn't very secure). at this very moment she is touching the stairs thru the bars and sobbing

she does turn around when we say no, but grins and carries in.

dp shouted earlier which made her cry and come crawling towards me at full pelt!

monkeytrousers Sat 02-Jul-05 18:55:16

Awwww! Naughty dp!

Twiglett Sat 02-Jul-05 18:56:22

duct tape her feet to the floor

Slave2Babe Sat 02-Jul-05 20:08:49

the duct tape has been threatened

HappyDaddy Mon 04-Jul-05 08:14:57

My dd, 13mths, knows "no" alright. She reacts better to "uh uh uhhhh", whereupon she turns and smiles naughtily at me. If she's heading towards something dangerous or really naughty, she's learned that the sound of the dining room chair moving means that I'm coming to get her. As soon as she hears it, she's spins away from what she's doing and crawls/staggers quickly in the opposite direction grinning as if to say, "it wasn't me". Little munchkin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now