Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

drugs

(11 Posts)
3kids Wed 29-Jun-05 20:10:49

My ds is in yr6 and came home with a letter with permission slip about sex education that we had to sign saying whether we wanted them to have the lesson or not. Well ds came home today saying he'd had drugs education today and named different drugs to me and also said that the white powder(he couldn't remeber name) you put up your nose!!! We were never asked or told about this and while i think they should be aware of drugs i feel there was just a little to much info. Why do they need permission from us for sex but not for drugs. I would really appreciate yor opions. Thanks.

Gobbledigook Wed 29-Jun-05 20:12:48

is this standard? I'm not sure I'd be very happy about this.

Blimey, what ever happened to the innocence of children???

3kids Wed 29-Jun-05 20:17:25

I've asked my friend who's dd was yr6 2yrs ago and she'd never heard of it. I just think we should've been asked then we could have prepared ourselves for it.I still think they were given to much info

happymerryberries Wed 29-Jun-05 20:17:46

Think that it is standard..
I know that we teach sex ed in y7 and no-one is given an opt out. We also cover drugs in y8 and don't give an opt out there either

lou33 Wed 29-Jun-05 20:27:47

i have a vague memory of dd1 having that drugs talk as well

Lonelymum Wed 29-Jun-05 20:34:25

TBH, I remember teaching Yr 6 kids and the local community policeman came in (he frequently did) and once he talked about drugs. I don't remember a letter going home to parents beforehand, but one might have done. I was also stunned at the knowledge exhibited by many children.........but not as stunned as the policeman was by my complete ignorance! I lead a sheltered life!

I think it is reasonable that you receive notice when a topic such as this is to be discussed, but I don't think your child should be sheltered from the truth. From what I gathered from the policeman I talked to, children today are almost bound to meet drugs at some time, and forewarned is forearmed.

Gobbledigook Wed 29-Jun-05 20:38:55

Oh hang on, yr 6 - how old are they? I read 6 yrs old for some reason! Durr!

3kids Wed 29-Jun-05 20:40:56

10 or 11yr olds

Gobbledigook Wed 29-Jun-05 20:43:17

Hmm, OK, guess that makes sense before they go to secondary school just in case they get approached by older kids with regard to drugs.

Still very sad we have to address this so young though isn't it?

TinyGang Wed 29-Jun-05 20:48:54

Yes, I read it as 6years too Gobbledigook. I even wrote a long post about it all and how sad for 6yr olds etc(noticed just in time!)

Weeell...hrrmmph! Ok, 10-11 years old is a bit different I guess but even so...I still think of that as very young. Such an aggressive world we live in these days

3kids Wed 29-Jun-05 20:49:20

I agree they need to know i'm just a bit upset that as his mother i didn't get a told. I wouldn't have said no i just wished we were warned.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: