Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

grandparents/inlaws

(5 Posts)
claudiabbc Wed 29-Jun-05 11:18:20

Does anyone have difficult inlaws/parents who have theri own ideas about how their grandchildren should be brought up? I;d love to hear from you!

koalabear Wed 29-Jun-05 11:19:20

welcome to the club - you'll find quite a lot of support from fellow sufferers here

kelleyh2005 Wed 29-Jun-05 12:38:56

I so know what you mean!! We're so lucky that we have such a good support network with 2 DS's (18mnts & 8wks), and DH's parents like to look after DS1 most weekends.

This of course is really nice, and I know we are lucky but we have to suffer the consoquinces (haven't got a clue how thats spelt!) when he comes home as he is sooooo used to getting his own way round there and is hardly ever told no to anything, resulting in tantrums. I have tried telling the mother-in-law so many times not to let him do this and that but it falls on deaf ears all the time.

I am greatfal for all the help they give us, and DS loves spending time with them, but it does sometimes gets to much, espeacially when we are planning to go out at weekends or tell them that they can't have him and they get "funny" about it - sounds strange but they are quite controlling!

I don't think there are many people who don't have something to say about in-laws/grandperants trying to interfer with your own ways of parenting!

I feel better after that little rant!!

snafu Wed 29-Jun-05 12:41:36

Is this a media request, claudiabbc? Apologies if it's not, but there is a specific section on which you can post your question if it is

Iklboo Wed 29-Jun-05 12:47:15

I've got all this to come! MIL is brilliant and doesn't foist her 'ways' onto her other grandchildren - she listens to what the parents want and does that becuase she says it's great for the children to havethe same at both places so they don't play their parents and her off against each other.
FIL is useless - had no hand in bringing up DH & his brothers - and has really old-fashioned ideas about how to deal with children (they must eat what's put in front of them, go to bed after tea etc and has no idea how to play or interact with children).
MY parents..eek! I'm an only one and my nana looked afer me during the day while they both worked. But I think they both know me and my temper well wnough not to interfere with how we bring junior up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now