Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fishy/marine present ideas for DS1's six birthday!

(16 Posts)
dinosaur Thu 23-Jun-05 13:27:21

Does anyone have any bright ideas about what I could get my DS1 for his sixth birthday. He is particularly interested in everything to do with the sea, sea creatures etc. An aquarium would be the obvious one, but we just don't have space for it at present (house upside down, major building works going on).

Anyone have any inspiration?

lunavix Thu 23-Jun-05 13:28:24

Books (think usborne have a fishy range) stickers (could he put them on his walls/ceiling?) posters, finding nemo?

Marina Thu 23-Jun-05 13:34:09

Could he adopt a sea mammal at London Zoo dino? My two were entranced by the sealions at an aquarium in Boulogne recently (dd = "wuff-wuff swim. Gone!"; ds = "Why aren't they called sea-dogs?")

otto Thu 23-Jun-05 13:48:54

You can also sponsor whales. My sd was given sponsorship as a gift. She gets pictures and updates, but unlike zoo sponsorship, you don't get to see your fish/mammal whatever.

nailpolish Thu 23-Jun-05 13:51:03

what about a professional painter decorating his room? like a mural? as a surprise

nailpolish Thu 23-Jun-05 13:51:25

my dd has a nemo bedcover and loves it

dillydally Thu 23-Jun-05 13:56:13

I think I have seen a huge (and I mean huge) fishy mural picture at either Urchin or similar place.

dolphins here

Furball Thu 23-Jun-05 14:03:35

or These

dinosaur Thu 23-Jun-05 15:49:39

Thanks everyone!

The sponsorship and the decorative ideas are nice, but probably not quite what I had in mind as I want it to be something that he can do/watch/play with, iyswim.

Lunavix - I will check out usborne books!

loobywoof Thu 23-Jun-05 15:54:59

I know it's probably very far from you but 'The Deep' in Hull do amazing parties. The kids have picnic food at tea time a tour round the 'submarium' when it's closed and then they bed down for the night in the main hall with all the enormous fish tanks right next to them - sharks and all. Bit much for a six year old maybe but when he is older perhaps there is something similar in your area

binkie Thu 23-Jun-05 16:03:36

Have you got the BBC/David Attenborough Blue Planet book/DVD? It is so brilliant ... although there is a section which Cannot Be Watched (or even Referred To) where a newborn whale is separated from its mother by orcas in order for it to be ... you get the picture.

Ds has adopted a pod of Hebridean whales as his this year's charity, and quite likes this in theory, but is a bit disappointed because dd's charity (RNLI Kids Bit) does regular mailouts of magazines which have puzzles in them. All he gets is pictures & info. He thinks this is not entirely right.

I'll have some further thinks.

charleepeters Thu 23-Jun-05 16:04:07

get him sea monkeys there great!

binkie Thu 23-Jun-05 16:08:30

Hm. The Hebridean things are not whales, they're dolphins. Boy I know I'd be called on that if ds or dd saw this.

dinosaur Thu 23-Jun-05 16:10:46

Hi Binkie - yes he's got it, and yes we've watched that sequence!! DS1 never seems too bothered by it...

BUT the Hebridean whale pod idea sounds great - if you get pictures, that would be right up his street! How did you find out about that?

loobywoof - thank you - the DSs have been to The Deep, as my parents live quite near Hull, but we are too far away for it to be a party venue, sadly...

charlee - I thought of sea monkeys, but do they not need an aquarium? We just have no room for anything at the moment - all our possessions have had to be clared out to make room for builders...

binkie Thu 23-Jun-05 16:20:33

Voila (you did see that it's dolphins and not whales, though)? - scroll down to "Ileach"

Also through the Book People I got ds a set of 24 mini Usborne science books, one of which is about the sea and has wonderful website links, inc glorious one of a mother and young whale, think it really is a whale this time, in the Moray Firth competing to see who can jump higher and more joyfully. It is just gorgeous. Here's link to the Book People - they're under kids' reference - though poo looks like it's out of stock.

madmarchhare Thu 23-Jun-05 16:27:38

What about some sort of interactive something for PC. We got a freebie ages ago called 'the living oceans' and its very good. Dont know if they do a full version but Im sure there would be something simillar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now