Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do I lift him without hurting myself???

(7 Posts)
monkeytrousers Wed 22-Jun-05 19:47:41

Just really hurt my back lifting my 24lb 8 month old son into his cot. I'm in agony! How am I going to manage???

zebraZ Wed 22-Jun-05 20:20:06

do you know how to lift so as to protect your back?

Perhaps he could sleep on a mattress on the floor, instead of a cot?

BadgerBadger Wed 22-Jun-05 23:36:06

Sorry if the following is what you already do!.....

When you pick him up (particularly from floor level) squat with your knees, rather than bending your back. Keep your back as straight
as possible.

When you lift him into his cot, make sure you avoid 'swinging' him in (the only way I can think to describe it).
ie Start with him between the cot and you, bend your knees to pick him up, stand up keeping your back straight, walk straight forward to the cot as opposed to picking him up from next to you and turning your body (and so your back) to lift him in, IYSWIM.

I know what I've written possibly looks daft, and over cautious, but I have a friend with back problems due largely to the way she lifted her toddler and these were tips she found useful .

monkeytrousers Thu 23-Jun-05 05:53:28

Thanks for the advice. I've just been lifting him willy nilly, so to speak, not taking any precautions. Will give it a go when it starts to get better. I can hardly move at the mo! DP cant take the day off so DS is going to get away with murder today. xx

crazycanuck Thu 23-Jun-05 13:34:06

I know how you feel monkey. I have had chronic back problems for years and am in agony right now even though ds is only 13 weeks. Badger's advice is spot-on, I'd also work some stretches in once you're mobile enough again, and good posture is key as well. best of luck! I feel your pain (literally!)

monkeytrousers Thu 23-Jun-05 14:40:39

Got some tramadol for the pain (dp will be after me for them, I know it!)and an exercise sheet. Crazycanuk, that sounds awful. I must admit I've never had any problems since this but a whole new world of pain has been revealed to me. You have my wholehearted sympathy. Xx

Whizzz Thu 23-Jun-05 19:43:47

Spot on BB - also avoid twisting at the waist when lifting or carrying as this also puts strain on your lower back.

more tips

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now