Talk

Advanced search

Mum is over feeding dd...

(18 Posts)
laurashavingababy Wed 11-Nov-09 18:28:16

I wasnt sure where to post this but thought here will do!

My mum has my 17mo dd when I work and Im worried that she is over feeding her.

She will give her a bread roll, yogurt, banana and biscuits for lunch. I have told her not to give her all of that but her response is that she needs to eat well and is too young to diet.

What do I do next? I was a fat child and still suffer with food issues. I see why now!! My only option is to change and put dd into childcare but my mum would hate that.

I have asked her over and over again. Any tips??

Lifeinagoldfishbowl Wed 11-Nov-09 18:29:26

I don't see a prob with that as a lunch.

Ivykaty44 Wed 11-Nov-09 18:31:17

I was a fat child and still suffer with food issues. I see why now!! My only option is to change and put dd into childcare but my mum would hate that.

this isn't about your mum - its about your dd.....

RealityBites Wed 11-Nov-09 18:32:20

Message withdrawn

RealityBites Wed 11-Nov-09 18:32:50

Message withdrawn

Lakota Wed 11-Nov-09 18:36:07

My DS eats similar (though biscuit usually for afternoon snack/treat, and just one, not as pudding). Since he was very small he has been capable of eating a full 'adult' round of sandwiches when he's in the mood, followed by fruit or yoghurt. Equally, sometimes he eats more toddler sized portions. I think maybe say no to the biscuits, and save part of the pudding for after nap snack?

Will she eat her dinner well after seeing your mum or is she full? As long as it's healthy food and she is active I would have thought this is ok. If you'd said chips, kitkat and icecream I'd be more concerned!

shonaspurtle Wed 11-Nov-09 18:37:11

That seems ok to me. Does your dd eat all of it? Most toddlers I know pretty much stop eating when they're full.

Ds would certainly have eaten the whole yoghurt and banana and most of a roll at that age.

I wouldn't personally give a biscuit but there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it.

Are you worried about your dd's weight?

PyrotechnicToadstool Wed 11-Nov-09 18:38:43

SO she is getting some fruit, some dairy, some carbs, and a bit of fat.

Sorry, what's your problem again?

differentID Wed 11-Nov-09 18:42:07

Is it the quantities she is being given that is cause for concern? And is that what she gets everyday- is there any attempt at say cherry tomatoes/ carrots/ cheese?

RealityBites Wed 11-Nov-09 18:43:22

Message withdrawn

thenewbornnanny Wed 11-Nov-09 18:44:53

Sounds like a perfectly acceptable lunch. At least she eats a variety of things. Children don't need to be on a restricted diet unless they have allergy/intolerance issues. Obviously be sensible regarding food choices but really that sounds like a high energy meal, perfect for an active toddler.

twofalls Wed 11-Nov-09 18:53:00

Why do you think that is too much? Generally toddlers stop eating when they are full. I would perhaps ask her to put some variety in it like carrot sticks, cucumber, grapes etc but on the whole, it doesn't sound like overfeeding to me. As others have said, sounds perfectly good lunch for an active toddler.

laurashavingababy Wed 11-Nov-09 19:28:05

Oh my God! I honestly thought that was too much food. When she is with me I will give her a savoury meal - Sandwich or hot meal and a yogurt or banana. She has the occasional biscuit as a snack.

She isnt fat but she isnt thin - IYSWIM.

Right, thats me told then! I wont mention it to my mum again.

Thanks all smile

thenewbornnanny Wed 11-Nov-09 19:30:59

Make the most of her eating anything at all! My old charges went through a stage where if they couldn't dip it in ketchup they didn't want it - thanks to my old DB. LOL grin wine o'clock couldn't come soon enough on some days!!!!!

laurashavingababy Wed 11-Nov-09 20:55:08

Now Im worried that I am not giving her enough food!

She is a good eater and will eat most things - At the moment smile

teatank Wed 11-Nov-09 21:20:08

think yourself lucky i am struggling to get my 18mnth ds to eat anything. i would give anything to see him eat like that.

EdgarAllenPoo Wed 11-Nov-09 21:26:54

ah well, my DD ate pretty much the same at that age..two months later she decided it was all rubbish!

generally if a toddler is realy hungry, they let you know about it...(wahhh!! wahhh!!)

pispirispis Wed 11-Nov-09 21:36:35

Don't worry she'll stop eating when she's full. Sounds like a pretty good lunch for a toddler to me, though as others have said, I would try to get her to give her a bit more variety rather than less.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now