Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How easy do you find it to get rid of baby stuff?

(10 Posts)
CookieMonster2 Wed 11-Nov-09 10:25:14

We have had our second and last child, so as we have finished using our baby equipment and clothes we are slowly getting rid of them, either giving them away or selling them. We are both finding it really hard to let go of stuff though, even though we know we won't have a use for it again, we don't have the storage space for it, and the money we get for it is more useful. It just seems so sad to get rid of things that have been in our house for so long as they have been used by both children. After a few days though we are grateful for the space and wondered why we were being so silly about getting rid of something.
Am I mad, or do other people cling on to stuff for longer than they need to just because they can't bare to let it go?

bronze Wed 11-Nov-09 10:26:33

horribly difficult

CookieMonster2 Wed 11-Nov-09 10:31:52

Ahh. So I'm not the only one then. I do give some stuff away on freecycle but the Salvation Army is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that.
Keeping a small box of treasures is a good idea which I have already done. I have kept first shoes, and 1 babygrow etc.

MrsTittleMouse Wed 11-Nov-09 10:34:48

I am trying at the moment. I am failing miserably. DH is very nice and just stacks it all up in the roof. My Mum is hinting about some people she knows who need my stuff, and I've explained that I am struggling but I still think that she thinks that I'm being nuts.

pleasechange Wed 11-Nov-09 10:38:36

I'm finding it really difficult. I am short of storage space but am still holding onto stuff

crokky Wed 11-Nov-09 11:04:18

I don't find it difficult at all - here are some tips: (like you I have 2 DCs and am finished, they are 3.8 and 1.8)

-think of a much loved piece of equipment used loads by both your DCs and then think of it just sitting unused in a garage/loft getting in poor condition versus the item being rehomed and being loved by anther family

-hopefully you have photos of your DC using the stuff so you can keep the photos of the items, rather than the actual items

-think of your children getting onto the next exciting stage and how well they are progressing (eg getting rid of changing mat, child now toilet trained - yay!)

bronze Wed 11-Nov-09 11:59:39

I have managed though today was harder. I didn't get rid of as much as I was going through a crate of prem clothes. I kept about a quarter. up to 3lb is teeeny I need it to show her how small she was. I am donating a load to the scbu though as I know in those early days how much you want to dress your child like a normal mum but can't leave your baby to go and get anything.

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 11-Nov-09 12:15:00

We have our dd's christening dress - her dolly ZamZam wears it and her first pair of shoes. I am entirely unsentimental and gave it all away as soon as she had outgrown/got bored with it.

MrsTittleMouse Wed 11-Nov-09 21:50:35

crokky - you are obviously a lot more certain that you are done than I am! Having more children would be a really stupid idea, but my hormones don't realise that and can't be reasoned with.

Meglet Wed 11-Nov-09 21:56:43

Crokky sums it up nicely. I am happily selling / passing on old stuff, the cold hearted bitch that I am wink. There will be photos of the dc's using most things, and better for it to go to a good home than the plastic / wood to go manky and discoloured in the loft.

I've kept first shoes, first sleepy suit and a couple of their cutest baby outfits, but apart from that it's slowly leaving the house bit by bit. Oh, I was so happy when the baby bath and moses basket were gone, never to return.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now