Talk

Advanced search

Babywearers, which sling?

(12 Posts)

DD is 6 months and is currently going through a wanting to be held all the time phase. Which sling would be best? She likes being sat up now. Thanks.

JackBauer Tue 10-Nov-09 23:30:43

For just round the house, popping to shops I would say carry her on your hip in a ring sling but as they are one shoulder carriers they can start to pull at your shoulder after an hour or so.

MT is better for longer carries on your front facing you or on your back in 'piggyback' style, which DD2 loved (as she could pull my hairhmm) This also means you can get stuff done without her 'helping'!

Tangle Tue 10-Nov-09 23:32:27

Try and get to a slingmeet, where you'll be able to try a selection of different types on and see what works for you. There are so many different types it really does get down to personal preference.

If you want my opinion I'd lean away from stretchy wraps now, as they often tend to struggle with the baby's weight within the next few months. I'm a knot girl and use a woven wrap or a Mei Tai to carry DD (who's now 2 1/2) - I did try the odd Soft Structured Carrier but don't really get on with buckles. I also never managed to get a ring sling to work for me, although some ladies find them fantastic to well beyond this point. I also wouldn't use a carrier that made a big selling point of allowing the baby to face away from you - they invariably seem to make huge compromises on comfort (IMO for both you and your DC).

Other places that are good for info are www.naturalmamas.co.uk, www.thebabywearer.co.uk and there's a newish site called sling guide about as well. Both the 1st two have active For Sale or Trade boards (although TBW is US based), and UKbabywearingSWAP can also be a good place to find a bargain.

Good luck choosing - just be aware that slings can get adictive...

MrsSantosisbored Tue 10-Nov-09 23:40:22

Ditto on the stretchy wraps esp if you have a ahem podgy baby blush (all bf so should be ok??!!) Friends swear by the Didymos but I couldn't really bring myself to spend seventy quid (which I didn't have) on it but it did look good. there are soem good websites if you google homemade slings.

Thank you very much guys, i do have a close baby carrier it was great when she was smaller but now i'm not keen on her position. I'll have a look at those now.

MoominMymbleandMy Tue 10-Nov-09 23:57:29

I would think the Close will be nearing the end of its usefulness to you now as your DD is likely to be too heavy for it to be comfortable for you.

As well as the links Tangle has given you, you should find this site helpful.

with ring slings, what the deal with the size? i'm at 6/8 and only 5' so don't want there to be too much fabric. would i need an xs?

nappyaddict Wed 11-Nov-09 03:01:23

Get the Ergo, Toddlerhawk (can be used on small babies too. A friend uses one with her 3 month old and just rolls it up) or the Mom Tai.

sasamaxx Wed 11-Nov-09 20:22:18

At 6mos an ergo may be still a little big for your lo - if you are looking for something with buckles, the connecta is better when they are younger and a really great introduction to all things baby-wearing IMO

sasamaxx Wed 11-Nov-09 20:25:01

"with ring slings, what the deal with the size? i'm at 6/8 and only 5' so don't want there to be too much fabric. would i need an xs?"

A lot of them are just one size as it should fit all but I know what you mean about great big long tails - they annoy me too...

Annabel1 Thu 12-Nov-09 09:23:07

I still love my Corrie from Bright sparks. DS 12 months and loves to cosy up in it.

Annabel1 Thu 12-Nov-09 09:24:06

Coorie I mean!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now