Talk

Advanced search

Somewhat odd question concerning ghosts.

(8 Posts)
mrleebob Tue 10-Nov-09 21:17:04

This thread may instantly have some people here disbelieving but it's something I'm curious about. My father has always been able (according to him) to see ghosts and growing up, I could too, in particular a young girl who resided in my bedroom. She wasn't an imagainary friend you understand, she really was there (and subsequent research has itentified her as being a ghost in the property as long ago as 1932). Whenever I would see her and was scared, I would tell my father and he told me I was just imagining it. However, when I was adult, I approached the subject again and he not only admitted she was there, but described her fully and accurately. He just didn't want to worry me. I think it would have been better if he had sat me down and told me rather than try to have me shrug it off.

I was wondering what I would do if my future children came to me and said they saw a ghost. What would you guys do?

3littlefrogs Tue 10-Nov-09 21:31:10

Well - my children do, and my mum did and I do. So we have all talked about it when it has happened. It seemed to me that when my children were disturbed or frightened by seeing ghosts in our house, to tell them they were imagining it would only have made them feel worse.

They have now learned to reduce the ability to do this to a degree as it makes life easier.

However, some people don't have this ability and don't believe in it, so I have also warned my dcs not to discuss it outside the home.

We do occasionally talk about it with friends who can see them, but it isn't what you would call a "conversation opener". grin

mrleebob Tue 10-Nov-09 21:39:42

That's the very reason I was wary of even posting this topic (DP said I was brave). Being told that the footsteps sinking across my bed whilst I was lying in it etc, and constantly seeing her made me think I was crazy. Even when 2 of my friends heard her walking down the stairs and refused to come to my house again I was told it was all in my head. Would hate to put my kids in the same situation. It contributed to the sheer terror I would feel at times because I didn't understand what was going on. I KNEW I was seeing and experiencing these things but had no explanation. I feel that if my Dad had taken the time and found out what I was seeing, he could have reassured me that no harm would come and I could have reduced the fear accordingly.

mrleebob Tue 10-Nov-09 21:41:01

Being told that the footsteps sinking across my bed whilst I was lying in it etc, and constantly seeing her was just my imagination made me think I was crazy. That's what that sentence should have said.

GentleOtter Tue 10-Nov-09 21:44:31

There are exercises you can do to 'close' yourself off (and those whom you wish to protect) and not be afraid.

LynetteScavo Tue 10-Nov-09 21:45:54

Mrleebob, I would say you are in a better position than most to know what to tell your children.

I used to hear foot steps in my child hood home, which my mother always told me I was imagining/mistaken. She always told me ghosts weren't real too. It wasn't untill I was an adult she told me she used to hear foot steps too! (Although different ones to me!)

TBH, if my children heard/saw a ghost I would probably instinctivly poo poo it...party to put myself at ease.

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 10-Nov-09 22:26:11

id do exactly the opposite of what your dad did...your in the best possible position to know what your children would want. what would you have wanted when you were a child in that position?

mrleebob Tue 10-Nov-09 22:27:32

To have known what was going on. Not understanding is the cause of most fear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now