Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New Regime - The best thing I've done in ages, you might like to try it

(5 Posts)
trulyscrumptious43 Tue 10-Nov-09 14:07:18

After a very disappointing parent's evening on ds's behalf (I had to go and hide in school toilets cos I was about to blub in front of teachers)and with only 6 months to go til dd's A levels (therefore a huge amount of work for her to get through), I was fed up of our main means of communication being me begging them to stop staring at the two screens in our living room and answer me when I spoke to them.

Facebook/the X Factor had all but taken over dd's life and ds was misbehaving in all his lessons except electronics (once a fortnight).

SO...I bit the bullet and did what I've been threatening to do for years. I was about to cut the plug off the tv but since it's a sealed unit I thought, for the future's sake, just take it out, and I wrapped it in gaffa tape.
I took the internet lead out of the PC and hid it.

So, no Simon Cowell, no cooking progammes, reality shows and no virtual networking in our lives.
It'll be three weeks tomorrow and life has changed a lot.

The kids come home from school and talk to me instead of switching the screens on. Dd does her homework on paper in front of the fire. Ds has got into listening to Bob Dylan and is allowed the internet lead back to look up electronics ideas on youtube, for maybe an hour a day or less.
We all sit together and seem to have more time.

I'm quite happy to carry on like this until those A levels are in the can!
Highly recommended for anyone else with teenagers - I should have done it years ago.

ChristmasMoon Tue 10-Nov-09 16:10:19

Blimey, well done you! Don't think I could survive that long! Hope they do really well.

trulyscrumptious43 Tue 10-Nov-09 23:00:09

We have only had one whinge about missing the Simpsons so far (and secretly I miss it a bit too).
I think it was X Factor that really drove me over the edge...my kids wasting their lives watching people being humiliated for entertainment. No!

FernieB Wed 11-Nov-09 11:28:15

Well done! Hope it all works out.

I have made my kids go the occasional week without TV when there has been really bad behaviour and it works very well. They are better behaved and much happier without it. The first couple of days are a nightmare but then they start entertaining themselves much better. We now limit TV and they only watch 1 programme per day during the week.

ToffeeCrumble Wed 11-Nov-09 11:35:49

Wow that is really impressive. I should do something like that, but not sure i have the courage!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now