Talk

Advanced search

Please give me some ideas for keeping telly obsessed toddler entertained

(14 Posts)
preggersplayspop Tue 10-Nov-09 09:57:57

DS1 has always been an early riser and after not being interested in telly when he was younger he is now obsessed with it (he is 2.5). We have defaulted to telly in the mornings while I do things like have a shower/dress for work/wake up. I've not been too concerned to date as it works for us, and he does loads of activities at nursery to compensate for my bad mummy efforts!

However, I am about to go on maternity leave and so will have more time at home with DS and I am getting a bit more worried that he will end up spending hours and hours watching TV, especially because its going to be winter so we won't get out so much.

He does have a very active imagination, but gets bored with his toys fairly quickly and doesn't generally play independently. We do things like play-doh, painting, playing with water in the sink. In the summer we go out as much as we can into the back garden, go for walks and go to the park as much as we can.

I'm always amazed when I read threads with people saying their toddlers only watch 20 mins of telly a day and I would love to hear some other ideas of how I can keep him entertained (or maybe some reassurance that with a new baby on the way, that I shouldn't put too much pressure on myself!)

Kerrymumbles Tue 10-Nov-09 10:00:33

jigsaws
coloring books

this is all bullshit cause I plopped mine in front of telly until they were old enough to play DS. grin

fannybanjo Tue 10-Nov-09 10:03:09

You do plenty with him, I really wouldn't worry, kids need to wind down and I was OBSESSIONAL about being the perfect parent with DD1 and only allowed 30 minutes a day and used to always be doing things with her but after having my third, I have realised a couple of hours of tv isn't going to do harm. I put it on in the morning so I can get my jobs done then I can concentrate on the children in the afternoon. DD2 currently watching Toy Story and playing with her toy garage (and demanding a biscuit!).

Don't pressure yourself and if you want to have a rest and sit with your DS and watch some tv with him then do it.

fannybanjo Tue 10-Nov-09 10:04:07

My Mum's best friend used to let her DC watch TV ALL DAY when we were younger, they are all now Doctors!

displayuntilbestbefore Tue 10-Nov-09 10:04:20

grin at Kerrymumbles

tv is a useful crutch for when you need to get stuff done. My dcs have been watching far too much this week as all ill and they are getting very frustrated with doing much other than watch tv betwen fights

how about involving your ds in the nthings you are doing. Mine always loved to help me hang up socks on the rack to dry, dry/put away the plastic things when washing up,
how about making a den out of two chairs and a big sheet and then putting things in the den for him to do? Stuff's always much more fun in your own den!
I find that giving my 2yr old a big plastic mixing bowl, wooden spoon and megabloks to sitr round keeps him busy for ages - sofa for an oven, table for the fridge and he's happy!

PyrotechnicToadstool Tue 10-Nov-09 10:04:54

My DS is just 2 and would watch it from 7am to 7pm if I let him. When he wakes up from his nap the first thing he does is point to his DVDs (now removed because of the tantrums that followed)

I think if you want to limit use of the TV you just have to do it and be harsh. I have the TV on until 9.30 because DS likes Show Me Show Me and it means I can Mumsnet do some housework. Then it's off until the afternoon and that's that. I will sit at the table with him and do things like playdough or colouring for a while and otherwise it's toys on the floor - cars, trains etc.

That said - I don't think TV is a bad thing in itself and if I am a bit under the weather - or DS is - or he's been up loads in the night and we're knackered - then I don't think too hard about how long he would watch it over one day or two.

And with a new baby on the way - well, USE it! I would not feel the tiniest bit guilty letting DS watch hours of CBeebies if I was BFing a newborn on the sofa all day.

displayuntilbestbefore Tue 10-Nov-09 10:05:09

(she says whilst dcs watch tv while Mummy MN-ing! wink)

fannybanjo Tue 10-Nov-09 10:05:15

disclaimer - I am not recommending letting your children sit like a couch potato all day by the way!

3littlefrogs Tue 10-Nov-09 10:08:18

Telly is fine in moderation IMO.

However, IME, little boys are like puppies, and your life will be much easier, especially when baby 2 comes, if you take him out at least twice a day, come rain or shine, and wear him out.

I used to walk miles between feeds when ds1 was 2 and ds2 was new. Then I could put ds1 in front of sesame street while I fed ds2 in relative peace.grin

3littlefrogs Tue 10-Nov-09 10:10:50

A 2 mile hike every day with a pram and a toddler knocks the post baby weight off very quickly!

preggersplayspop Tue 10-Nov-09 10:11:57

Oh thank you, I am feeling a lot better already!

I try getting him to help me sort socks and things but he just looks at me like I am mad (typical man). I have started getting in things like puzzles but he seems a bit young for them at the moment but hoping as he gets a bit older he will start getting into them a bit more and we can play games a bit more.

preggersplayspop Tue 10-Nov-09 10:17:21

Thanks, 3littlefrogs, I agree boys need to get out as much as possible and I like going outside. He can be really hard work at the moment, and I can't face going into shops with him as he just runs off and I have to leg it after him to stop him running into the street - how I will do this with another one in tow I have not really figured out yet.

He doesn't even want to leave the house at the moment - kicks up a massive fuss and says he wants to stay inside. I think because he's at nursery 4 days a week currently he just wants to spend time at home (near the telly no doubt). I don't blame him and I don't argue too much as I am massive and don't have much energy either. This will change though when new baby comes - last time you couldn't keep me in, I went out for walks 3 times a day!

3littlefrogs Tue 10-Nov-09 10:28:40

Oh gosh - I never went into a shop with mine unless absolutely unavoidable. I used to be in the park at the crack of dawn and just play "fetch" with ds1 grin. I bought him a plastic tennis raquet and let him hit the ball, run and fetch it, hit it again etc etc. Alternatively a large plastic golf club and ball....ditto. Then play on the swings etc, then feed the ducks, another walk right round collecting leaves/sticks whatever.

Finally, we would call at the local bakery and choose a treat for after lunch. (2 -3 minutes in the shop, tops).We had lunch at 11.30 because we were up at 6.00.

I just found it was pointless trying to get anything done in the house, so I might as well just devote the time to fresh air and exercise!

fannybanjo Tue 10-Nov-09 10:45:38

I do not even enter a shop unless ABSOLUTELY necessary with my 2 little ones (DD2 2.2 and DD3 9 months). All hell breaks loose. My P&T pram just doesn't get used like I thought it would.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now